App Review Another Avast Behavior Blocker vs Ransomware Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
@cruelsister

The whitelist feature of Avast (hardened mode) is (currently) related to the FILE (execution) SHIELD (because you execute a file), so don't bother to enable hardened mode when the execution filter of the file shield is disabled. The placement of this feature in the GUI as general option is misleading, but it might have ringed a bell that your samples passed the whitelist feature.;)

On second thoughts: your test showed that the behavior blocker scored a 100% detection. It might well be that by disabling the file (execution) shield, Avast will not stop further execution of that sample (or executables spawned by that binary).:unsure:

Regards Kees

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
@cruelsister

The whitelist feature of Avast (hardened mode) is (currently) related to the FILE (execution) SHIELD (because you execute a file), so don't bother to enable hardened mode when the execution filter of the file shield is disabled. The placement of this feature in the GUI as general option is misleading, but it might have ringed a bell that your samples passed the whitelist feature.;)

On second thoughts: your test showed that the behavior blocker scored a 100% detection. It might well be that by disabling the file (execution) shield, Avast will not stop further execution of that sample (or executables spawned by that binary).:unsure:

Regards Kees
That is a good point. The test proves that probably Avast Behavior Shield does not work correctly without File Shield. Proving something more requires not disabling the File Shield, but using the old signatures instead. Anyway, Behavior Shield failed to detect Petya Green ransomware, I think.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
I was just trying to recreate the test of the Avast BB that was posted last week and which gave a false impression (the hardened Mode was active because I would have been criticized for not using it).

Although I actually think that Avast has made great strides in the past 9 months and is currently quite a good product (sad that it recently refuses to play nice with CF!), my primary concern is that Avast users are not misled by not well designed tests. Any of the ransomware that bypassed the Avast BB in this test can be easily morphed to a true zero day, and running into one of these even with File Shield active will result in Unnumbered Tears.

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
The behaviour shield is linked with the File Shield in some aspects. I can't go into much detail but I'll give an example. Most of the time zero day malware is already classified in the cloud (old malware is also classified in the cloud). Now here comes the important bit, malware is executed and IDP (behaviour shield) checks the cloud and gets a result that the file is classified as malicious but IDP does this check "asynchronously". This means that the behaviour shield would not block the malware immediately since the File Shield which does the check "synchronously" would have already removed the threat before IDP got involved. File Shield does this query synchronously, e.g. it will block the malware process creation immediately while the query result gets back from the cloud. This is why sometimes some files get encrypted by ransomware before IDP reacts. This happens alot with Petya based sample if File Shield is disabled.

I'm not saying that the behaviour shield is a silver bullet since nothing is 100% but it would be nice to see a video with the File Shield enabled.

The file shield is also linked to whitelisting to hardened mode. Hardened mode also only targets exe files.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The behaviour shield is linked with the File Shield in some aspects. I can't go into much detail but I'll give an example. Most of the time zero day malware is already classified in the cloud (old malware is also classified in the cloud). Now here comes the important bit, malware is executed and IDP (behaviour shield) checks the cloud and gets a result that the file is classified as malicious but IDP does this check "asynchronously". This means that the behaviour shield would not block the malware immediately since the File Shield which does the check "synchronously" would have already removed the threat before IDP got involved. File Shield does this query synchronously, e.g. it will block the malware process creation immediately while the query result gets back from the cloud. This is why sometimes some files get encrypted by ransomware before IDP reacts. This happens alot with Petya based sample if File Shield is disabled.

I'm not saying that the behaviour shield is a silver bullet since nothing is 100% but it would be nice to see a video with the File Shield enabled.

The file shield is also linked to whitelisting to hardened mode. Hardened mode also only targets exe files.
So, even with the old local signatures and active File Shield, the test will be invalid, because in the cloud the signatures are new.

Reactions: given and XhenEd

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I was just trying to recreate the test of the Avast BB that was posted last week and which gave a false impression (the hardened Mode was active because I would have been criticized for not using it).

Although I actually think that Avast has made great strides in the past 9 months and is currently quite a good product (sad that it recently refuses to play nice with CF!), my primary concern is that Avast users are not misled by not well designed tests. Any of the ransomware that bypassed the Avast BB in this test can be easily morphed to a true zero day, and running into one of these even with File Shield active will result in Unnumbered Tears.
If I have correctly understood Alikhan, the test is invalid by design, because of the way the Behavior Field interacts with the cloud. It would be correct only for the true 0-day malware (not detected by the cloud). One thing is interesting in the test. The users should know that disabling File Shield automatically disables hardened mode. This is a bug, that the user can tick the hardened mode, and it does not work.
Edit1.
It would be interesting to test Avast Behavior Shield with disabled Internet connection.
Edit2.
... and enabled File Shield + old signatures.

Last edited:
P

plat1098

Can you even test a behavior blocker in "isolation"? Selectively disabling one component or another even though they're enabled out of the box and judiciously choosing your malware can be construed as more self-serving, right? Naturally, this is hindsight following that Malware Geek production. Thanks for this more unbiased presentation.

Alikhan

Level 2
Verified
Oct 14, 2015
If I have correctly understood Alikhan, the test is invalid by design, because of the way the Behavior Field interacts with the cloud. It would be correct only for the true 0-day malware (not detected by the cloud). One thing is interesting in the test. The users should know that disabling File Shield automatically disables hardened mode. This is a bug, that the user can tick the hardened mode, and it does not work.
Edit.
It would be interesting to test Avast Behavior Field with disabled Internet connection.

The test would be better if the sample bypassed both the File Shield and Behaviour Shield with cloud enabled. Without the cloud, the behavior shield would not do as well (I would say awful) due to the fact old detections are moved to the cloud plus no file shield to check synchronously. The behavior shield does do analysis but is often slow to react that's why when the files are analyzed by the behaviour shield, they are moved to the cloud so the file shield can block them. Personally, I'm not a fan of hardened mode and it makes CyberCapture useless.

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
The test would be better if the sample bypassed both the File Shield and Behaviour Shield with cloud enabled. Without the cloud, the behavior shield would not do as well (I would say awful) due to the fact old detections are moved to the cloud plus no file shield to check synchronously. The behavior shield does do analysis but is often slow to react that's why when the files are analyzed by the behaviour shield, they are moved to the cloud so the file shield can block them. Personally, I'm not a fan of hardened mode and it makes CyberCapture useless.
I meant: It would be interesting to test Avast Behavior Shield with disabled Internet connection and enabled File Shield (forgot about the bold fragment).:)
Edit
Plus old signatures.

Last edited:
Reactions: given

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
A Crueler test of the Avast Behavior Blocker vs Ransomware.

Here is two screen shots of what IE and Edge are doing with my computer these days.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_91 Oct. 15 10.24.jpg
    ScreenHunter_91 Oct. 15 10.24.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 531
  • ScreenHunter_92 Oct. 15 10.24.jpg
    ScreenHunter_92 Oct. 15 10.24.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 508

Andy Ful

Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Here is two screen shots of what IE and Edge are doing with my computer these days.
I have Windows 10 Pro + Edge. No problems with this video (I tried both Edge and IE). So it is not Edge / IE problem on default settings.

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
So, this means that in that other test file shield was indeed disabled? If that's the case and Avast BB still worked. Then that means that Avast behavior blocker doesn't need the File Shield.

Could someone link the other test?

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.