Another Firefox Hardening Guide

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Decided to give Firefox 90 a spin, and came across this Firefox Hardening Guide. It seemed comprehensive and easy to understand, so I followed some of the suggestions. Like with all browsers, everyone has their own personal preferences in regard to Firefox Hardening, so your mileage may vary.

Here it is for anyone interested: Yet Another Firefox Hardening Guide | Chris Xiao

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I believe the dev for Decentraleyes has stopped updating it. (Listed at the bottom of the guide)
So you can use LocalCDN instead, which is a fork of Decentraleyes and has been updated recently.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I believe the dev for Decentraleyes has stopped updating it. (Listed at the bottom of the guide)
So you can use LocalCDN instead, which is a fork of Decentraleyes and has been updated recently.
I swapped Decentraleyes for LocalCDN. Thanks.

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Thanks for letting us know that, replaced it with LocalCDN

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Last edited:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Firefox does indeed have security options buried in about:config, but only very few guides dived into that part.

Still doesn't take away how far it leaps behind Edge on that front, though.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Sharing my experience here about the benefits of the Containers/First Party Isolate feature.
Before mid-2020 I kind of exclusively used Firefox since Firefox Quantum Nightly came out in 2017 I believe and have also used containers since it came out. I have social media accounts on most of the common and popular platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Reddit but targeted ads are turned off on all platforms including Google. When I used Firefox I kind of never saw any targeted ads in apps like Facebook on Android. I also used Firefox on my Android phone BTW.
But ever since I started to try out Edge in mid-2020, I started to see targeted ads on Facebook and Twitter. It got really bad in 2021. I can't escape facebook's targeted ads ever since I started using Edge as my main browser on the PC as well as Android.

I purchased a 4k Android Smart TV two weeks ago so as we all do, I researched for a couple of weeks prior to that (google search) to decide which TV fits my needs and budget the most. Lo and behold, after a couple of days of searching I only and only saw Smart TV-related ads on Facebook. Sony, Samsung, LG, Hisense, some other local brands all types of ads started to pop out on my Facebook feed. Keep in mind for the whole time I was using Microsoft Edge on the PC and Android with Strict tracking protection, NextDNS as my DNS, and uBlock Origin on PC's Edge browser. I have never seen so many targeted ads before 2021. This is just one latest example for me.

When I used Firefox with first-party isolate/Containers I almost never saw any targeted ads. Containers on Firefox is really a brilliant feature and helps to minimize tracking around the web a lot. No matter what you do on a Chromium browser you simply can't achieve something as good as this.
Chromium browsers are better in terms of security and maybe even in performance by a little margin (Firefox actually feels as fast as Chrome/Edge to me) but for the privacy-minded people, Firefox is still the best choice. It's not by default but can be achieved by minimal tweaking.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When I used Firefox with first-party isolate/Containers I almost never saw any targeted ads. Containers on Firefox is really a brilliant feature and helps to minimize tracking around the web a lot. No matter what you do on a Chromium browser you simply can't achieve something as good as this.
Chromium browsers are better in terms of security and maybe even in performance by a little margin (Firefox actually feels as fast as Chrome/Edge to me) but for the privacy-minded people, Firefox is still the best choice. It's not by default but can be achieved by minimal tweaking.
Really great example from your personal experience. I'm going to give Containers another shot, but not for social media, just general browsing. I'm trying to find a combo that works while allowing me to save cookies for my search page settings on search.disroot and search.brave, which FPI doesn't allow (no cookie exceptions).

Last edited:

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
I noticed that if certain tracking, etc., features are disabled, then some sites can be broken, or problems like the need to re-log or adjust settings take place.

I found a video where people were advised to just use two or more vanilla browsers to at least stop cross-tracking.

After trying different ways, I settled on just using Firefox with some about:config tweaks and some addons given here:

especially Multi Account Containers.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax what is your current FF setup? :unsure:
I lost my previous profile not so long ago. Had a problem with it and deleted it without backing up my user.js file by mistake. I have not made any changes yet since then and have mostly been using Edge. I'll have to check some suggestions posted here on this thread. I don't think I'll change much. Maybe a few containers to not let logged-in site's cookies talk to each other.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Really great example from your personal experience. I'm going to give Containers another shot, but not for social media, just general browsing. I'm trying to find a combo that works while allowing me to save cookies for my search page settings on search.disroot and search.brave, which FPI doesn't allow (no cookie exceptions).

Total Cookie Protection is an evolution of the First-Party-Isolation feature, a privacy protection that is shipped in Tor Browser. We are thankful to the Tor Project for that close collaboration.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Totally forgot about it. So does it mean we can skip the first party isolate feature or containers if the main goal is to put each site's cookies separately?
Containers seperate more than cookies from what I know, so it's still useful in some cases. First Party Isolation however should be disabled if you are using Strict tracking protection with TCP as it doesn't bring any value.

Read more about it here: Total Cookie Protection comparison · Issue #1974 · mozilla/multi-account-containers

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This was a short but good read which included @Reddit links I have yet to read.
And your first link included these references.

My general take upon first read of above sources is that Strict tracking protection is quite strong viz a viz FPI but not quite equal to containers, as you stated above. I'm still trying to fully digest the technical details. Thanks again! (y)

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
...settings that actually improve the security

With
Code:
security.sandbox.content.win32k-disable=true
enabled, the Firefox Addons page crashes when I try to navigate to it:

FF tab crash.png

It is reproducible every time. No problems when set to False.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.