How-to Guide Anti-Virus & Malware = Myths and Facts

Discussion in 'Tutorials & Guides' started by Nico@FMA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    in fact you have 48 known malwares but they all need root access so you will be prompted (normally) so if you are not dumb, you should not be infected.

WinXPert likes this.
  2. Witchsmeller Pursuivant

Nov 26, 2014
    I would agree with you that running two main anti-virus applications is asking for trouble. I tried it many years ago and my system crashed, it became unusable. I had to reformat and install the OS again.

As for the quality of free anti-virus and other security applications; I have been using the free edition of Avast Anti-virus with ZoneAlarm free firewall, SUPERAntiSpyware free edition, Zemana AntiLogger free edition and Malwarebyte Anti-Exploit free edition for a year now, and my PC is malware free. I also use Hitman once every month. I am very pleased with the protection that Avast and ZoneAlarm offer.

3. tallorder

tallorder New Member

Jan 15, 2015
    retired...?
    NE Arkansas, near MO. border

That really is , in a nutshell, the greater part of my problems today:
    Because of the limitations of this computer, I am unable to run ..this..with ..that..due to slowing the machine, lack of knowledge as to how to configure a protection program... such as using Emsisoft AV to behavior monitor, and not run constantly, where it would conflict with McAfee on here....

I look carefully at suggestions put up on MT: who put them up, on what computer configuration, works with ...? what else, or doesn't work with...?, and more: Do I want to use that advice or suggestion or not? I may not. Sometimes I just realize I still lack the ability still to use some parts of a program, and not all of it.

I do wish that there was an area of MT similar to Malware Removal, where my computer could be worked with and configured, not because it is infected, so it (hopefully) WON'T be infected!! Right now, I am choosing as carefully as possible, to not crash this system, and doing trial and error downloads and removals if it doesn't work well (with this computer)- or with my ability to utilize the program. I would be MORE than tickled to pay for such help, but then, look at all the learning I might miss!:D, as well as learning to be responsible for my own mess!:confused:

frogboy likes this.
  4. WinXPert

WinXPert Level 23
    Trusted AV Tester

Jan 9, 2013
    Graphic Artist
    Manila
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Reading POST 1 of them text walls. Will read 'em all.

tallorder likes this.
  5. T3chnopsycho

T3chnopsycho Level 1

Jun 11, 2015
    Windows 10
    Very insightful post (gonna read the one from Umbra you mentioned as well).

Especially the part about running multiple Anti Virus Programs simultaneously was new to me. I always went along the thought of "The more the better". Guess I'll have to keep that in mind from now on.

Thanks a lot for the interesting post!

T3chnopsycho

6. tina whittington

Sep 26, 2015
    torrevieja spain
    #66 tina whittington, Oct 3, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2015

sorry I am a complete technophobe I cant even work out how to post a comment. I just wanted to say thanks very much for the info I don't know anything about different antivirus products and both my laptops have run out so ive been looking for free ones because im skint as hell at mo, I realised when I tried to install one that they want access to everything and can pass info on but its all very confusing especially when you have a brain like mine which switches to sleep mode when im needing it to learn this stuff. thanks for all your advise and for writing it in a manner even I can understand, tinax

Andytay70 likes this.
  7. Juanantho

Juanantho New Member

Feb 1, 2016
    New Zealand
    Very good read! Thank you for your effort. It's appreciated!

8. Wihat

Wihat Level 3

Jan 25, 2016
    Viet Nam
    I've just bookmark this page. What a great tips here. :D

frogboy, Xtwillight and venustus like this.
  9. safe1st

safe1st Level 16

Jan 29, 2016
    Unknown
    Windows 10
    Zemana
    frogboy likes this.
  10. kodesilo

kodesilo Level 1

Dec 12, 2016
    san jose
    excellent!!!!!!!!!!!

11. c4ndym4n

c4ndym4n Level 1

Mar 23, 2017
    Amsterdam
    Wow, very nice post!!! I was looking exactly for this!

12. imad81

imad81 Level 1

May 29, 2017
    Bermuda
    totaly agree with you ,
    thanks man

13. ahity

ahity Level 1

May 16, 2017
    Indonesia
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    i read post 1.. watch this post to read them all later
    its interesting post, thank you for sharing :)

frogboy likes this.
  14. Orion

Orion Level 2

Apr 8, 2016
    Everything about malware
    India
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    Which free AV are you talking about? Most popular free AV's have just as much as protection as paid and sometimes even better.Like someone is going to hack me if i don't run some other firewall except windows and spy on my family pics ;)

I am sure malware writers have better things to do.Big example here: Comodo IS,Avast!

TerrakionSmash likes this.
  15. ravi prakash saini

Apr 22, 2015
    india
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    you are right malware writers have better things to do what if they decide to do those better things through your system

frogboy likes this.
  16. Orion

Orion Level 2

Apr 8, 2016
    Everything about malware
    India
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    #76 Orion, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    1/3 made me reply....First off I would ask you to kindly tune it down fellow indian.

You just missed the entire point the malware writers won't bother to hack a normal joe user they aren't the NSA or CIA.Of course if you are in a IT enviroment it works differently because then you maybe the target.

Speaking about doing it through a normal joe's system they need to get past all the other protection modules in win8 and ahead assuming you use the latest windows as most users do.They can't run bitcoin miners and other stuff unless the user and the security programs allow them to.But again if you have a up-to date system clears off any rare chances of this happening^^^

I don't understand the myths with free av programs especially with indians who keep thinking free is not as good as paid.

You want to hack my system and spy on me.Goodluck I have nothing so precious on it!

17. ravi prakash saini

Apr 22, 2015
    india
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Zombie (computer science) - Wikipedia

18. Orion

Orion Level 2

Apr 8, 2016
    Everything about malware
    India
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    So you are completely taking the words off wiki? Why am I not impressed? In order for the hacker to gain access to the system there is has to be some malicious program on your system for the attacker to continue infecting other systems.

Same with wannacry and how it initially started,once a computer is infected with the malware possibly from mail attachments it auto infects other systems.Its literally not profitable for regular malware writers to infect or spy on regular user's computers.There was a time when rootkits used to get bank account details but that time is gone.Also consider other situations with win8.1 or 10.

Also did I mention I am indian too and I have spent time into infosec since my teens.

19. Malware Person

Malware Person Level 4

Jun 8, 2016
    United States
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    man! this is a nice guide. keep it up, man! everybody should read this guide. its awesome!

20. Orion

Orion Level 2

Apr 8, 2016
    Everything about malware
    India
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    Also to add malware writers do target home users too atleast the regular malware does but when it comes to bigger outbreaks home users are barely the target.

Malware writers know spying won't get them anything so they steal and lock files to get money out.Do people really think that wannacry writers were dumb enough not to download the entire eternalblue package and start spying on the SMB's.Thats not how it works! They used SMB vulnerability to auto infect other systems on the same network.

They could have just done it from eternalblue package without spreading via mails initially but then the Agencies could track them so that's why I guess they didn't go that way.