Anti Virus vs Internet security question?

Tominator

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Nov 16, 2015
I read on some computer site that it's always better to have a security suite over anti virus because anti virus software depends on just signatures and the security suites also have more going on to protect..
i'm confused..

Tom

Reactions: Terry Ganzi

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
You should be,as far as i'm concern no security suite takes the cake but to each his own,if you take & anti-virus program & compliment it with other security pieces then your system can be bullet proof,but with a suite(Internet Security)I will not bet my last dollar,do some research here at MT & see what treasures your are missing.:)

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Most of the security suites list out what components is included inside other than the Antivirus module itself. You will have to decide whether these invidivual components are going to be useful to you or not.
If you unsure, feel free to test their security suites products (most of them give 15-30 days trial) and see if the product suites you especially those individual component.

D

Deleted member 178

I read on some computer site that it's always better to have a security suite over anti virus because anti virus software depends on just signatures and the security suites also have more going on to protect..
i'm confused..

Security suites just add a firewall for most of them, the other features are generally included in the AV version already.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
It is really a matter of preference.Basically if you want to use the AV vendors firewall or just go with an AV and Windows Firewall or some other 3rd party Firewall.Some suites contain a few more features but most have similar features in their AV also.
You can find many configurations on here from experienced members to get some ideas.
However I would not say one is better than the other but an AV combined with a combination of other programs can give you a bit more customization than a Suite.
Most every major vendor has 30 day trials which gives you the opportunity to compare the two from different vendors on your own system.

Reactions: Online_Sword

Online_Sword

Level 12
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 23, 2015
As mentioned by @Umbra , for some security products, "Security Suite" is just equivalent to "Antivirus + Firewall + Some features you will not need".

But there are also some exceptions. For example,
  • For Kaspersky, the Internet Security Suite has Application Control, which can adjust the privilege of programs in a fine-grained manner, and Trusted Application Mode, which not only can block unknown EXE, but also can block unknown DLLs. As far as I know, these useful features are not available in the Antivirus version of Kaspersky.
For some other products, there is nearly no difference in terms of protection between the antivirus version and the internet security version. For example:
  • Avira. Its Internet Security Suite = Antivirus + System Speed-up. The latter one is just a independent cleaning/optimization tool.
  • McAfee. Its Antivirus Plus version actually contains a firewall. The only differences between its Antivirus Plus version and Internet Security version are just Anti-spam and Parent Control.
  • WebRoot. Similar to McAfee, its network connection monitor module has been contained in its antivirus version.
Most antivirus vendors will give a table on their websites, which lists the differences between their antivirus and security suit. It can help you to make a decision between the antivirus version and the security suite version.:)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Just choose one based on your preferences.

They have both flaws and problems if you use them, only one or two important component you should not leave it and that's common sense and knowledge.

For sure some articles suggested to use IS is because of very simplified product and combined all into one, however the question always came is how effective nowadays? Just survey yourself on the things done on internet and rate the risk level covered.

The lower risk then few security programs needed, the higher risk then little combination needed at all.

But you need to conduct a backup for overall safety precaution.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.