Advice Request Antivirus and Data Protection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Chakuz

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2020
Hello,
Which antivirus product should be used if data protection is important to you?
I read through the privacy policy of some manufacturers (Kaspersky, Norton) and found it a bit daunting what I was allowed to read...

Furthermore, I find it a bit frightening when I see which trackers some manufacturers use in their Android apps

If you check the manufacturer's website, some things don't look so rosy ...

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

We talked about this subject at length in the past, lots of good information there.

In general, F-Secure and ESET are known to be more privacy friendly, though today we live in this dilemma where the cloud hybrid AVs are by far the best performing, but they all have similar privacy implications. The ones that have less privacy implications are the ones where you have to accept a manufacturer’s promise regarding how their black box cloud service works, and IMO if you really cared about privacy, you wouldn’t accept the whole “you are submitting a fingerprint of binaries from your IP address but I promise to anonymize your IP when our employees analyze the submission” statement. The only part you can control is whether or not what you submitted is anonymous. You don’t get any insight/control over the latter part, it’s purely based on trust.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Last edited:

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019

We talked about this subject at length in the past, lots of good information there.

In general, F-Secure and ESET are known to be more privacy friendly, though today we live in this dilemma where the cloud hybrid AVs are by far the best performing, but they all have similar privacy implications. The ones that have less privacy implications are the ones where you have to accept a manufacturer’s promise regarding how their black box cloud service works, and IMO if you really cared about privacy, you wouldn’t accept the whole “you are submitting a fingerprint of binaries from your IP address but I promise to anonymize your IP when our employees analyze the submission” statement. The only part you can control is whether or not what you submitted is anonymous. You don’t get any insight/control over the latter part, it’s purely based on trust.
Exactly, we can't separate one thing from another. Kaspersky has one of the best cloud protection because it collects a lot of data, we can't be ingenuous about that.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
Exactly, we can't separate one thing from another. Kaspersky has one of the best cloud protection because it collects a lot of data, we can't be ingenuous about that.
I do have to say, my opinion is that Kaspersky is collecting the amount of data they protect to provide really good cloud protection, not to profit off selling your data or to provide it to government agencies / third parties. Of course, there’s little to no way of knowing for sure.

What we do know for sure is that KSN is possibly the best performing cloud, and one of the few where you can easily demonstrate yourself that one behavior blocker hit results in other instances of Kaspersky blocking the binary statically (UDS signature name) seconds/minutes later. Many others claim this ability but I’ve rarely if ever seen it happen in the real world.

Chakuz

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2020
Thanks for the suggestions.
But what I am asking myself - why is the Emsisoft homepage building so many requests to Google?
A company whose privacy is important shouldn't do that, or?

Reactions: Protomartyr

Chakuz

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2020
The fact that Google Analytics is used by almost everyone does not make the situation any better (is also not the only point of criticism ...)

- it can be done without it

Reactions: Protomartyr

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I don't understand the point to scrutinising a website because it connects to Google Tag Manager / Analytics.

This site connects to Google, yet members here discuss privacy and security on a daily occurrence. So perhaps you'll want to deactivate your account because it "can be done without"?

Try and make us understand. (y)

Microsoft Defender* or Emsisoft.

Don't forget the data collection (telemetry, diagnostic, personalization, troubleshooting etc.) by Microsoft for Agreeing to use Windows 10, and Google's policy for using an Android device.
TO ADD - You're already sold your soul to Microsoft, by installing Windows 10 and it is by far not the best in terms of data collection. They do however release transparency reports based on the sent data.

Chakuz

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 22, 2020
Sorry my english is not so good, i hope you and other people here in this Forum understand me ^^
I don't understand the point to scrutinising a website because it connects to Google Tag Manager / Analytics.
A company should - if it cares about the privacy of its users - not use Google Analytics on its website or have Facebook Tracker in the Android app...
Doesn't inspire confidence in me

This site connects to Google, yet members here discuss privacy and security on a daily occurrence
True, but this practice should also be criticized. Still - a forum is a forum and a software a software

can be done without

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
- it can be done without it
That's specific to the German site. The UK variant makes use of Google Analytics/Tag Manager:
Annotation 2020-07-23 212403.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.