AI Assist Antivirus that use Windows Firewall

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Hello! I'm running win10 22H2 and which antivirus apps other than MS Defender use the Windows Defender Firewall? Eg, I understand F-Secure uses windows firewall, correct? Any other antiviruses...?

Reactions: franz and Trident

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Yes, F-Secure uses the Windows Defender Firewall as part of its antivirus solution. Other antivirus programs that also use the Windows Defender Firewall include Norton, McAfee, Avast, AVG, and Trend Micro. However, it is important to note that while these programs may use the Windows Defender Firewall as part of their solutions, they may also have their own firewall components that supplement or replace the Windows Defender Firewall.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Likely, the AV will auto turn off Windows firewall............unless the AV specifically said must use Windows firewall side-by-side.
yes, I have the opposite problem, ESET SSP had the win10 firewall off, and either ESET or "something" pooched it, uninstalled ESET, went smoothly seemingly, but so far my win10 firewall is "dead" and other AVs will not install... I seem to be heading toward an OS reinstall... :cautious::unsure:

partha_roy

Level 3
Well-known
Oct 16, 2022
yes, I have the opposite problem, ESET SSP had the win10 firewall off, and either ESET or "something" pooched it, uninstalled ESET, went smoothly seemingly, but so far my win10 firewall is "dead" and other AVs will not install... I seem to be heading toward an OS reinstall... :cautious::unsure:
HAve you tried resetting the Windows Defender settings? you may refer to the screenshot below

1683276520720.png

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Emsisoft, Avira, F-Secure, Trend Micro use Windows's Firewall
based on my limited experience with F-Secure and some tests at MT, F-Secure is my first choice unless I just use MS Defender... Yesterday, MS support strongly encouraged me to uninstall ESET SSP to fix my recent firewall issue, been running just MS Defender & its firewall for past half a day with Voodooshield. Least amount of win10 problems or potential conflicts. Much longer story attached to this. :eek:

Jengo

Level 6
Well-known
Nov 9, 2022
Yes, F-Secure uses the Windows Defender Firewall as part of its antivirus solution. Other antivirus programs that also use the Windows Defender Firewall include Norton, McAfee, Avast, AVG, and Trend Micro. However, it is important to note that while these programs may use the Windows Defender Firewall as part of their solutions, they may also have their own firewall components that supplement or replace the Windows Defender Firewall.
Norton definately does not use the Windows Firewall

Trident

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2023
Norton definately does not use the Windows Firewall
Avast, AVG and McAfee Legacy, before the new generation that got re-written don’t use the Windows Firewall Platform either.
Trend Micro does, claiming to be adding firewall booster. That by itself is an anti-bot component (blocks malicious communications system-wide) with some very light IPS capabilities (only seen the IPS-like function in action once).

The new McAfee that has now been rewritten uses WFP to block inbound connections and proprietary component to control outbound ones, including anti-bot inspection. I’ve not tested it.

franz

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
May 29, 2021
Do you create images regularly? It has saved me many times, press a button, and my pc is back to working machine. ;)

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Do you create images regularly? It has saved me many times, press a button, and my pc is back to working machine. ;)
I have macrium 8, I have images but things have been soooo stable for so long, I get lazy about keeping current image. I probably could have restored with an image, but now that it's behind me, having the MS tech run in-place upgrade to fix broken firewall made sense. A tweak for the whole system without too much heartache. At +7 years it was time :giggle:

Reactions: franz and Trident

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.