King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Hey guys, I just reformatted and installed windows 8.1 again. I don't know what AV to choose. Maybe WD is enough with Appguard or Exe Radar Pro. What do you think guys?

Reactions: Logethica

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011

MikeV

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 9, 2013
I dont know what are your download habbits and generaly your computer experience.
If you know how to use common sense, any antivirus will do the job for you.
My personal opinion is : LESS IS MORE
- Sandboxie (to sandbox your browser as we all know that most of the threats comes from the internet)
- Eset Smart security or Eset Nod 32 (if you like to use paid antivirus)
- Qihoo 360 or Avast free (PUP detection and Hardened mode ON) if you like free product.
- Windows firewall is enough in most cases but if you like to go more further then Comodo Firewall or Online Armor are great choices

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @King Mellow. Windows Defender is always a good option to keep you covered until (or if ever) you'll decided on a different AV. In fact, it was what I had used prior to replacing it with (thanks to you) Avast! .:):cool: Many members here, more than I can count,:p have placed ESET, Emsisoft, and Kaspersky, at the top of my personal reading list.
  1. ESET NOD 32 with Windows Firewall has performed (personally, for me) lightest & most seemlessly.
  2. We've Kaspersky IS on Windows 7 SP 1, though my wife is on the last week of her 30 day trial, and may go with something less interactive.
  3. Following Avast!, Emsisoft IS may be placed our Windows 8.1, although Virtual Box may have to be un-installed due to it's incompatibility.
Hm, I'm going to follow @jamescv7's links to get a better grasp upon how appguard/EXE Radar Pro work in concert compatibly.

PS I like that @MikeV made mention of that wonderful kite symbol without a tail (below) I rarely browse without!:D

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

AppGuard blocks executables and scripts, but sometimes scripts still manage to create a malicious file on your system between the time you launch the script and AppGuard blocks it. That time period <=1 sec. I've seen scripts run for a fraction of a second, but still mangea to drop files in temp\data folders while using AppGuard - and an AV scan detected them later.

Even though those dropped malicious files are on your system they present no threat, unless you goto that folder and launch the malicious files. Just use your AV of choice to detect, quarantine and delete them. Now I know this will make most users uncomfortable... but it really is "Mind Over Matter" - I don't mind cause it don't matter. Every once in a while I go through my AppData\Temp folders. Sometimes I find something, sometimes I don't. It may have sat in one of those directories harmlessly for eons...

As you become more experienced and knowledgeable... you will become a lot less OCD about such things. After that, you become Neo and have no need of AV. :D

Exe Radar Pro at default settings will prevent the script interpreter from executing - so it offers tighter security.

You can achieve the same with AppGuard by removing cmd.exe from the "Guard List" - which will prevent it from executing in "Lock-Down" Mode.

Even if you use an anti-executable with discipline, you still need an AV and firewall; AppGuard specifically recommends an AV and FW.

If you want to combine a basic scanner very similar to Windows Defender with either AG or ERP, then Avira Free is the best choice - it's like WD on steroids.

I'm a big fan of default-deny so using either AppGuard or ERP, I think, is a very intelligent, forward-looking choice. There are some very good reviews of both here at Malware Tips under the "Other security software" sub-forum. Plus, there's a lot of infos at Wilders Security.

Some users complain that using an anti-executable is inconvenient... and it probably is if you are constantly installing\uninstalling software. However, if you have configured the system and are not apt to change it very often, then in my experience, they are not troublesome.

Anti-executables are very light on resources and add a lot to overall security.

If you want a solid, stable, easy-to-use internet suite, then Emsisoft Internet Security works great on my W8.1 system. It is light on resources, easy to manage, and just plain fun to use... IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21043

Hi,

Windows Defender is liked by many, however I can only express that it's detection rate is not the best, and I do recommend another Antivirus product instead of it whether you are or are not an advanced user. I know many "advanced users" who become infected, whether that be by ransomware and having all their personal documents encrypted or via a trojan downloader which will have a bunch of malicious software downloaded onto your system (and then of course executed). However, for some, Windows Defender really is enough and they do not become infected whilst using it.

To answer your question regarding whether you should use Qihoo 360 or ESET, I will recommend you pick ESET. I recommend ESET over Qihoo because I personally do not feel that Qihoo is as pollished as ESET is, and I see more occurances of where Qihoo is promoted via adware/PUP installations (usually in the background without the user being aware). I do not feel this is very good, and Qihoo could try to take action to prevent the bundling. I see very less occurances of where ESET is promoted through adware/PUPs, same for other vendors like Emsisoft, F-Secure, Malwarebytes. I am not saying Qihoo is malicious, however it's promoted through Adware/PUPs quite frequently - this is not a good thing in my opinion.

You can also execute applications you are unsure of in a Virtual Machine or a Sandbox. If you use a Sandbox, I recommend using Sandboxie. I feel a Virtual Machine is safer, but it's really up to you.

I'm not a fan of Windows Firewall, you can test out a firewall test online and check your results. To try and strenghen your firewall, you could try using Comodo Firewall (free version). However, if it performs badly and does not work as effective as expected, you can always go back to Windows Firewall if you'd like.

You may be interested in scanning new applications at https://www.virustotal.com/ before having them executed on your main system also. You can get a view of what the other vendors think this way, without having to install each different product. Just make sure if you are prompted with an alert by VirusTotal regarding reanalysing and checking the last analysis, make sure to have it reanalysed.

If you do decide to use Windows Defender, I cannot express enough how careful you should be of the fake rogue Antiviruses which pretend to actually be Windows Defender - yesterday I caught one which tried to have as identical UI to Windows Defender as possible, however it was fake (displayed fake results, promoted another fake product to try to trick the user into purchase,...). There are always a few people who become tricked by them. Be careful.

AppGuard is a good product too, if configured correctly. However, you may also want to use ESET with it. I will note that if you use ESET Smart Security, another firewall like Comodo Firewall will be unnecessary - ESET Smart Security has a firewall built into it.

Make sure to check the links prior to visiting them. This will also help keep you safer.

Cheers. ;)

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks man! Do you think ESET NOD32 AV, AppGuard, MBAE and Windows Firewall is a good setup? Or should I use WFC or Glasswire with WIndows Firewall. I don't really like installing 3rd party firewalls.

Reactions: Logethica
D

Deleted member 21043

Thanks man! Do you think ESET NOD32 AV, AppGuard, MBAE and Windows Firewall is a good setup? Or should I use WFC or Glasswire with WIndows Firewall. I don't really like installing 3rd party firewalls.
I think that setup would be better and should be good enough to protect you.

However, usng WFC or Glasswire will extend your protection which is always a good thing.

Some extended tips from me (unrelated to Antivirus/Internet Security and Firewall, however may be found helpful):
You may be interested in a good Adblocker and HTTPSEverywhere. HTTPS connections encrypt the communications between your browser and your website. You can read more HTTPSEverywhere extension here: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Adblocking is good because Advertisements can track you, so blocking them also protects your privacy in a way. I suggest uBlock (extension) if you decide to use an Adblocker. Since I do not know what browser you are currently using, I cannot provide information regarding if it supports uBlock and a download link. If you provide me this information, I can check and if supported provide you the official download URL.

Cheers. ;)

H

hjlbx

I use WFC. It's a good piece of software... although, I do not recommend trying to configure specific remote IP address rules for every single app. You'll drive yourself crazy in the process...

I just create generic "Allow" rules for Trusted applications.

It's light on resources, actively developed, and for $10 it is hard to beat.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I think that setup would be better and should be good enough to protect you.

However, usng WFC or Glasswire will extend your protection which is always a good thing.

Some extended tips from me (unrelated to Antivirus/Internet Security and Firewall, however may be found helpful):
You may be interested in a good Adblocker and HTTPSEverywhere. HTTPS connections encrypt the communications between your browser and your website. You can read more HTTPSEverywhere extension here: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

Adblocking is good because Advertisements can track you, so blocking them also protects your privacy in a way. I suggest uBlock (extension) if you decide to use an Adblocker. Since I do not know what browser you are currently using, I cannot provide information regarding if it supports uBlock and a download link. If you provide me this information, I can check and if supported provide you the official download URL.

Cheers. ;)
Yeap, I already have HTTPS, along with AdGuard, TrafficLight, ZenMate and LastPass. Thanks a lot man!

I use WFC. It's a good piece of software... although, I do not recommend trying to configure specific remote IP address rules for every single app. You'll drive yourself crazy in the process...

I just create generic "Allow" rules for Trusted applications.

It's light on resources, actively developed, and for $10 it is hard to beat.
Thanks for the info bro. Luckily, I have a license. :) Do you think Glasswire is really needed?

H

hjlbx

Yeap, I already have HTTPS, along with AdGuard, TrafficLight, ZenMate and LastPass. Thanks a lot man!

Thanks for the info bro. Luckily, I have a license. :) Do you think Glasswire is really needed?

WFC is good for setting up permanent firewall rules on your system.

GlassWire is still very limited in its capabilities... but I have found it useful when testing the malwares. I like its graphical interface.

You can use both together...

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.