Status
Not open for further replies.

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Hello fellows,

I've got a quick question, that despite i googled, i couldn't find a decent answer.

Due to having another firewalls and the necessary tools, i never install Internet Security or Total Security versions of the antivirus i install. I feel it's a great waste of RAM and space.

My question is: is it really useful to do this, or RAM usage isn't really a change within different versions of the same product?

I use to install the basic paid version, example: Kaspersky Antivirus

Thanks and have an awsome day!

Reactions: Piteko21

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I think overall the ram used will be very identical to a product without firewall.
not forget that the antivirus firewall will have to turn off the windows firewall . therefore having or not firewall will not be a big factor importance relative to ram used.
if the product has more protection modules, more RAM will be used, i think.
this is my opinion.

H

hjlbx

Hello fellows,

I've got a quick question, that despite i googled, i couldn't find a decent answer.

Due to having another firewalls and the necessary tools, i never install Internet Security or Total Security versions of the antivirus i install. I feel it's a great waste of RAM and space.

My question is: is it really useful to do this, or RAM usage isn't really a change within different versions of the same product?

I use to install the basic paid version, example: Kaspersky Antivirus

Thanks and have an awsome day!

Internet Security packages add some additional functionality - like parental control, "optimizer", password manager, etc... but most importantly the firewall. Some firewalls are worth the any additional RAM consumption.

Total Security packages include everything in Internet Security + phone, encryption, additional "optimizers", cloud backup\storage, etc.

My experience with most internet security suites is this = start messing with settings and you will find some thing(s) that don't work or mess up your system.

Simplicity of use and reliability are much more important than high-tech wizardry and add-on gadgets, but it all depends upon whether you are a novice\family or a security soft geek...

Suites are good for novices\families that set them up and don't mess with the settings.

Custom crafted config gives same, perhaps even superior, protection with typically 3/4 or less resource consumption.

Suites are unnecessary for experienced user like yourself... but they make great toys... :D

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
I think overall the ram used will be very identical to a product without firewall.
not forget that the antivirus firewall will have to turn off the windows firewall . therefore having or not firewall will not be a big factor importance relative to ram used.
if the product has more protection modules, more RAM will be used, i think.
this is my opinion.

This is what i thought, thanks for the advice!

Internet Security packages add some additional functionality - like parental control, "optimizer", password manager, etc... but most importantly the firewall. Some firewalls are worth the any additional RAM consumption.

Total Security packages include everything in Internet Security + phone, encryption, additional "optimizers", cloud backup\storage, etc.

My experience with most internet security suites is this = start messing with settings and you will find some thing(s) that don't work or mess up your system.

Simplicity of use and reliability are much more important than high-tech wizardry and add-on gadgets, but it all depends upon whether you are a novice\family or a security soft geek...

Suites are good for novices\families that set them up and don't mess with the settings.

Custom crafted config gives same, perhaps even superior, protection with typically 3/4 or less resource consumption.

Suites are unnecessary for experienced user like yourself... but they make great toys... :D

Thank you for your opinion! It's appreciated! I find parental control, PaySafe, and all this new modules most antivirus are introducing, pretty unnecessary at least for my system. Once again, thanks for the advice.

the essential feature of internet security is firewall. So, if you have another firewall app and you sure that your firewall is better than firewall from internet security suite, I think is OK to ditch your internet security into antivirus version. :)

It's what i thought at first! Don't know if my firewall may be BETTER than the one that my suite offers, but i'm not looking into awsome firewalls to be honest, just a soft, low-impact protection. Thanks mate!

Reactions: Piteko21

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
For me Antiviruses are better than full Internet/Total Securities.

Main reason is compatibility issues. Windows Firewall + Antivirus is good. Total security provides many junk facilities and if you want those you can easily get better version of that and that too free with other softwares.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Actually in such practical, better go to Antivirus Free or Pro equivalent version as features are more useful and efficient to tweak them, you need only those major arsenal tools as your protection.

Internet Security may consider fine but not those ultimate edition cause cleaning tools and other optimizer can handle by other 3rd party or even built in for Windows instead.

+ Price are sometimes insane which you might consider their PRO as always.

Protection of different editions are always the same to each other from consistency so be observant on their advertising package. ;)

jerzy601

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
I do appreciate Antyvirusy with full packages, but they consume a lot of memory, and some features are not even needed so I am using AntiVirus Free without firewalls why we need not burden the system in my system firewall is a system and I'm very happy with it and she meets its role.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Enju

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jul 16, 2014
In regards to Kaspersky you should always go with the Internet Security version which includes the "Trusted applications mode" which imo is one of the best whitelisting based software currently available. Performance and bug wise there is absolutely zero difference between KAV and KIS, so if you can snag a cheap license go for KIS.

Dima007

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Apr 24, 2013
TUmWF5i.png

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd and LabZero
L

LabZero

Other interesting KIS functions are protection from not secure Wifi networks, through which hackers could intercept our internet traffic, but also to protect against captured video stream through the webcam.

Reactions: frogboy
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.