Anubis' Security Config

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Hey there. Here's my security configuration. It's a work in progress, as I'm still working on hardening my various systems depending on use, specs, etc.

Edit: There is a typo on the list. "Togue Killer" is actually Rogue Killer. I fat-fingered it.

Edit 2: In consideration of the feedback I have been receiving (for which I am grateful :) ), I would like to mention that my security config list above is more an overview of my settings. I use different user and browser profiles in my system, each having their security product real-time protection and browser extension customizations loaded with them. I enjoy playing with various configurations depending on needs. Of course, I appreciate all the suggestions and input and learning from it. That's why I am here after all ;)

Last edited:

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
It's a good advice, thanks. I actually use different browsers with different profiles, each loaded with its own extensions depending on use. For some, I use Adguard, while on others I rely on specific pop-up/ads blockers. The list above is more a comprehensive overview. I appreciate the feedback.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
It's a good advice, thanks. I actually use different browsers with different profiles, each loaded with its own extensions depending on use. For some, I use Adguard, while on others I rely on specific pop-up/ads blockers. The list above is more a comprehensive overview. I appreciate the feedback.
So I take it that Adguard is configured to only work on some browsers?

Transhumana

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
You might want to replace JRT with AdwCleaner because Malwareybtes decided to discontinue JRT and since October, 26 it's no longer maintained, but I believe that all it's features are incorporated in new version of AdwCleaner. Apart from that, everything looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing. :)

Edit: Now I realized that you have both ZAM and Malwarebytes with Bitdefender Total Security in real-time protection. It's probably a bit too much. :)

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
You might want to replace JRT with AdwCleaner because Malwareybtes decided to discontinue JRT and since October, 26 it's no longer maintained, but I believe that all it's features are incorporated in new version of AdwCleaner. Apart from that, everything looks pretty good. Thanks for sharing. :)
I didn't realize JRT got discontinued. Thanks for the heads-up (y)

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017

Edit: Now I realized that you have both ZAM and Malwarebytes with Bitdefender Total Security in real-time protection. It's probably a bit too much. :)

It does appear that way, but as I mentioned earlier, I see the one above a comprehensive list. I use different profiles for different uses, each having a different set of security configs. I also like testing, test products, see which ones work well together without bogging the system or conflicting with each other. For example, for some profiles, I rely on HitmanPro.Alert to shield browsing from exploits instead of Malwarebytes own module. In other cases, I let Sandboxie virtualize the sessions. Other times, I use Zemana Antilloger in conjunction with Bitdefender SafePay.

In general, I leave Malwarebytes and Bitdefender for real-time protection. This was done after quite a bit of testing to make sure they don't clash or create system instability. In my personal case and for my configuration, they appear to complement each other well together.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
BTS would be fine by itself for real time.
You can use MBAM & ZAL(if your not using the anti logger) as on demand.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Remove ABD+ and WOT
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
BTS would be fine by itself for real time.
You can use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & ZAL(if your not using the anti logger) as on demand.
Consider backing up important data to an external drive also.
Remove ABD+ and WOT
Secure Windows 10 config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)
Thanks for your feedback @Exterminator (y)

Note that Adguard uses WOT screening and ranking, and I don’t use ADB+ on all browsers profiles together with Adguard. Would you discourage using ADB+ for the extension’ possible problems or security concerns?

The reason I use both BTS and MB is that in both my both personsal and professional experience, they coexist well, and each tends to catch/stop specific virus and malware that the other may miss.

Backing files to external disk is always a good idea, which I already do for both data and system images.

In addition, I log in using a standard account, and only use elevation for administrative tasks that may require it.

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Lots of on-demand scanners. This is good for double checking; however, do you use all of them? I agree with what Exterminator said. I'd remove ABD+ and WOT.

Adguard is nice, but I prefer uBlock Origin as it is quite robust as well.

Overall, very nice configuration! Always be sure to keep your system updated. Also, keep in mind to keep all of your on-demand scanners updated too! I know you have lots of them so you may have to develop a schedule to keep them all updated. In addition to this, always keep a good clean system image. What do I mean by this? Scan your system really good before creating a backup. This way you know you will never restore anything that is bad to your system. You have a very well rounded security configuration.

Very nice! (y)

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
The reason why I use so many (or too many, as it was pointed out :D ) on-demand scanners is two-fold: first, I like choice and testing different products that I have discovered and have been effective for me through the years. Second, I find that each program, depending on its scan engine, appears to be more effective at finding and removing a specific family of malware respectively. For instance, I find Hitman.Pro effective at removing hidden and obnoxious trackers, Malwarebytes is good as a remediation tool for nasty injections and anti-exploit, Bitdefender (in my experience with it) has a demonstrated ability to find and remove stubborn Trojans from .ost files, and I like its anti-phishing stats, Roguekiller is good at rooting out kernel hooks, and so on. While my list is indeed overkill, I like to have a good and varied arsenal that I can use when needed.

And to answer a question asked above by @Lightning_Brian, I do keep all my security programs updated, but it's not really a big deal for me and it doesn't take much time. It takes longer, say, washing and vacuuming inside my car, shovel the snow off the driveway or getting all those leaves off the backyard :D

a1nn

Level 2
Verified
Jun 5, 2017
Your config looks really good, but there are some things I would change.
  • WOT has been reported to be selling user data, without anonymizing it properly. I would recommend you remove it.
  • Bitdefender, Malwarebytes, and Zemana? I would recommend removing at least one of them, because that could take a toll on system resources.
The rest of the config looks good. However, I think that this config is kind of overkill. Your config states that you aren't testing malware, so 8 on-demand scanners and 3 real time protection programs would be unnecessary. Even if one were testing malware, properly setting up a sandbox in combination with a VPN would be good enough. Thanks for posting! :)

Anubis

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Apr 7, 2017
Hi, I did remove WOT (as well as ADB+ and replaced it with UBlock Origin) as you guys suggested. I also agree that three real-time protections are too much. Nowadays, I mostly rely on BTS and MB, and I use Zemana Antilogger together with SafePay mostly when shopping online.

Thanks for the feedback everybody (y)

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hi, I did remove WOT (as well as ADB+ and replaced it with UBlock Origin) as you guys suggested. I also agree that three real-time protections are too much. Nowadays, I mostly rely on BTS and MB, and I use Zemana Antilogger together with SafePay mostly when shopping online.

Thanks for the feedback everybody (y)

Good deal! WOT isn't great at all. Norton Safe Web is pretty nice. I use Norton Safe Web - never steered me wrong.

Glad you use Antilogger! One cannot be too safe!

Good security configuration! (y)(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.