Advice Request Any free security product that can be used alongside KAF to provide behavior blocker functionality?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
Is there any free and light weight security product that could provide behavior blocking functionality and can be used alongside KAF without any problem.
Please do not recommend default deny products like cfw and vs.
Just a plain behavior blocker that is efficient and can provide MBR protection.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
You remember the 1-Yr free subscription that Sophos started to offer for the new Sophos Home Premium Beta? This package includes HMPA protection unlike the old Sophos AV.
You can disable the real-time File AV and Web filter in SHPB and keep the sig-less dynamic protection components including Exploit Mitigation, Cryptoguard, etc. ON so that you get HMPA features to work alongside Kaspersky Free.
I'd tried this method with Avast (BB disabled..) and I faced no notable issues. Since K Free has no dynamic protection, HMPA modules from SHPB should work well in complementation. This way you get behavior blocking, exploit protection, ransomware protection and rollback, cloud protection, identity protection, process protection etc. all covered by the combo.

Some have suggested to use KART with K Free. However, KART also has a File AV (associated with KSN) and the combo is not much recommended. The System Watcher found in KART is also not at par with the one found in KAV/KIS/KTS. Next, all you need is a Windows Firewall control.

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
spy shelter. i think there is a free version. although it doesn't have an auto block.... a dialog pop up and you choose. if some hidden logger attempts to execute it'll ask if you want it to make changes to your computer or to terminate it. basically it's a control what runs thing

off topic. if you want to download vids from lots of sites buy tubedigger

if you want a fast free vpn to decensor the net.... freevpn.me with openvpn client

if you want stuff cheaper... ebay

Last edited:

Prayag

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 27, 2017
spy shelter. i think there is a free version. although it doesn't have an auto block.... a dialog pop up and you choose. if some hidden logger attempts to execute it'll ask if you want it to make changes to your computer or to terminate it. basically it's a control what runs thing

off topic. if you want to download vids from lots of sites buy tubedigger

if you want a fast free vpn to decensor the net.... freevpn.me with openvpn client
Spyshelter used to have a free version but now it isn't available.

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
Spyshelter used to have a free version but now it isn't available.
buy stuff but try ebay... you'll get legit yearly keys for around 5 quid

example Kaspersky Internet Security 2017 1 PC / Gerät 1Jahr Vollversion Key ESD Download

why much cheaper.... i dunno... maybe because you are only purchasing the key

that's the issue with a lot of products from their main site... you're buying the key and the product. through ebay you can skip the product and just buy the key. and the keys are legit, you can login, etc. not pirate keys

Last edited:

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Among other options are installing Avast Free (disabling File and Web AV) and use its CyberCapture and BB. You can then add Appcheck or KART for ransomware protection to the 'K Free+Avast combo'. Zemana is also an option.

Among the paid ones, there's a strong antiransom protection from WinPatrol. They've 3 products
  • WinAntiRansom - Registry protection, Network Lockdown, strong RW protection including File/Folder Access control, protection against worms, stealers, trojans, scripts, rats etc.
  • WinPatrol (a product from old times) - for reversing all kinds of unwanted system changes, Real-time Infiltration Detection, Registry Monitoring
  • WinPatrol Firewall
They've some nice combo deals (that include their FW) and lifetime licenses too. Their antiransom protection (WAR vid1 / WAR vid2) is among the best. Though I've seen it fail against a few non-RW samples in reviews, ofcourse nothing is 100%

What about add Kaspersky anti ransomware? it's bascially system watcher
As I mentioned in my previous post, SW in KART is not the same as the one found in paid products of Kaspersky. It is a stripped down version for handling ransomware tactics only. It should be considered as a pure anti-RW. Nothing more.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
That seems to you Comodo Firewall with the configuration of Cs. And KAF.

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
I read you post after posting my post with Comodo Firewall as BB. Why you not like it?

Kaspersky Free: Very good signatures.
Comodo Firewall: Auto-Sandbox and advanced HIPS for zero-day malware

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
there is no free and effective behavior blocker but there is free Hips(REHIPS) which work like behavior but you need to think and decide to block or no.
Otherwise, you can be a beta tester for F-secure or trend micro to get an effective and free behavior blocker.:p

Reactions: brambedkar59

virusblocker101

Level 1
Verified
Jul 28, 2017
list of handy programs

spy shelter firewall (lifetime key)
openvpn with freevpn.me (free vpn service, but as fast as a premium and no torrent throttling)
qBittorrent (free. doesn't come with ads)
tubedugger (lifetime key. download protected stuff from loads of sites. download from wwe site, etc)
avidemux (free. allows for quick cutting without re-conversion. has the option to change audio sync and save it)

Reactions: bribon77

AlanOstaszewski

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 27, 2017
tubedugger (lifetime key. download protected stuff from loads of sites. download from wwe site, etc)
avidemux (free. allows for quick cutting without re-conversion. has the option to change audio sync and save it)

Best behavior blocker list ever. You can cut malware with avidemux und upload keyloggers to the rubbish with qBittorrent xD
Spy Shelter Firewall costs money. @Prayag is searching for free security.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
list of handy programs

spy shelter firewall (lifetime key)
openvpn with freevpn.me (free vpn service, but as fast as a premium and no torrent throttling)
wrong thread brother?

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
You can disable the real-time File AV and Web filter in SHPB and keep the sig-less dynamic protection components including Exploit Mitigation, Cryptoguard, etc. ON so that you get HMPA features to work alongside Kaspersky Free.
I'd tried this method with Avast (BB disabled..) and I faced no notable issues. Since K Free has no dynamic protection, HMPA modules from SHPB should work well in complementation. This way you get behavior blocking, exploit protection, ransomware protection and rollback, cloud protection, identity protection, process protection etc. all covered by the combo.

Some have suggested to use KART with K Free. However, KART also has a File AV (associated with KSN) and the combo is not much recommended. The System Watcher found in KART is also not at par with the one found in KAV/KIS/KTS. Next, all you need is a Windows Firewall control.

Among other options are installing Avast Free (disabling File and Web AV) and use its CyberCapture and BB. You can then add Appcheck or KART for ransomware protection to the 'K Free+Avast combo'. Zemana is also an option.
That's some seriously creative solid configs, especially the KAF+Sophos one, and for free too. Nice

Last edited:

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
The latest free option is to install NVT OSArmor alongside KAF.

Its a free BB and provides the functionality missing in Kaspersky. Along with an AE like NVT ERP and an AR like AppCheck, you have complete all-around protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.