Advice Request Any opinions on Driver Fix?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I just installed XP Pro on an old HP laptop. I was able to find a wireless driver and connect to my router but any website I try go to does not come up. I can not find the hardwire network driver for the life of me so any driver i get won't be found by the laptop online. HP does not support this old of a model anylonger. Any ideas?

Thanks
No one supports Windows XP.

Scrap the laptop for an iPad or Samsung Tab. Newer hardware has faster WiFi speed and stability.

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
So the wireless connection is working, but not cannot connect to the net?
On an XP, this might be a problem with Internet Explorer and its "proxy" settings.
What i would do in this situation.
Start cmd (command line), then do following commands:
netsh int ip reset reset.txt
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset

Then reboot.

After that, open up command line again, and type:
ping 8.8.8.8
Do you get a reply from 8.8.8.8?

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
On an XP, this might be a problem with Internet Explorer and its "proxy" settings.
netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset

Then reboot.

ping 8.8.8.8
If not, reset your router to factory setting by pressing reset button 10 seconds.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

If not, reset your router to factory setting by pressing reset button 10 seconds.
I installed 3DP net and was able to get the network card driver installed but I still can not open IE to any websites. If I unplug the network cable the computer does show the connection disconnected. I have not tried rebooting laptop or router as of yet. Am trying to get it setup for my sister as she is using an old dell Vista laptop that is super slow.
When I look at the connection diags, it shows that it was able to connect to HTTP: microsoft.com but not HTTPS: microsoft.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Cortex

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You are lucky if you can't connect to the internet on Windows XP. This OS should not be used on an internet-facing device.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Hello Jake, your link is blocked by Adguard butt no for kaspersky:

I believe that is a false positive.

View attachment 248279
Also blocked by uBlock Origin:
Schermafbeelding 2020-10-31 195530.jpg

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I just installed XP Pro on an old HP laptop. I was able to find a wireless driver and connect to my router but any website I try go to does not come up. I can not find the hardwire network driver for the life of me so any driver i get won't be found by the laptop online. HP does not support this old of a model anylonger. Any ideas?

Thanks

Try the program mentioned above your post. It finds a lot of HP drivers for me.

Reactions: Cortex

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I installed 3DP net and was able to get the network card driver installed but I still can not open IE to any websites. If I unplug the network cable the computer does show the connection disconnected. I have not tried rebooting laptop or router as of yet. Am trying to get it setup for my sister as she is using an old dell Vista laptop that is super slow.
When I look at the connection diags, it shows that it was able to connect to HTTP: microsoft.com but not HTTPS: microsoft.com
Try kmeleon browser or palemoon. you could download the installer via other pc ?

You`d probably need something like Shadowdefender or Toolwiz Timefreeze on it when all is sorted.

Regards Eck:)

Reactions: JakeXPMan
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Try kmeleon browser or palemoon. you could download the installer via other pc ?

You`d probably need something like Shadowdefender or Toolwiz Timefreeze on it when all is sorted.

Ok this is the strangest thing I have seen in all the years I have used Windows. I tried installing Palemoon ang got a popup saying I needed Windows 7 or newer. After I clicked ok, the palemoon website popped up. I was able to download from their site. If i copy and paste their address into IE it opens their site but if I type any other address i get the no connection warning. I don't get it at all. Also I was using the wireless connection. Not sure which Kmelon version to download. Pretty sure now it must be something with IE 8.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

netsh winsock reset
netsh firewall reset

Then reboot.

ping 8.8.8.8
yes i get a reply but still can't access certian pages i can access msn in safe mode and access any of the links on that site wirelessly

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Ok this is the strangest thing I have seen in all the years I have used Windows. I tried installing Palemoon ang got a popup saying I needed Windows 7 or newer. After I clicked ok, the palemoon website popped up. I was able to download from their site. If i copy and paste their address into IE it opens their site but if I type any other address i get the no connection warning. I don't get it at all. Also I was using the wireless connection. Not sure which Kmelon version to download. Pretty sure now it must be something with IE 8.
2nd one down 75.1, stable release, installer or portable, should do the trick ?

Have you got SP3 installed ? If not locate the unofficial SP4 for XP and install it as I think it has updates for IE within it ?

Last edited:
Reactions: roger_m

AloysiusQ

May 29, 2021
Hi, I use Driver Booster Pro, but not for Chipset & Graphics Drivers, my manufacturer is AMD.
Never had problems of any sort. ;)
I just restored my 2nd computer's ethernet web connection using their free trial one-off after a fresh re-install of Windows 10. Got Driver Booster Pro so I could fix the other 137 driver issues it found. I remember how tedious hunting down drivers was the last time I had to do this. Magic.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.