Any suggestions on "scrapegoat" machine?

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
To analyze what an unknown malware does, one needs to set up a "trap" for him/herself and walk into it like (s)he doesn't know what's hiding behind the window.
But, this is too dangerous for the computer you normally use.
So there's something called Scrapegoat that you can sacrifice to know what a software does.
(It's just an unused isolated machine that you can plant malwares and phish yourself to see what it does and where it comes from)

Any suggestions and requirements for this?
(Like (in)security, firewall settings, specs...etc)

I am willing to sacrifice three unused computers to contribute to this forum.

EDIT: Clarification.
1. The topic of this question is "how can I set up a computer so I can test malwares on it without hurting other computers".
2. This topic is NOT about "I want to ruin some computers, any suggestions?".
3. I am not going to use VirtualBox, or Sandboxie. They're good,but I can't add files there externally (VirtualBox) and Sandboxie sometimes fails to start up when infected.

Last edited:

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
To analyze what an unknown malware does, one needs to set up a "trap" for him/herself and walk into it like (s)he doesn't know what's hiding behind the window.
But, this is too dangerous for the computer you normally use.
So there's something called Scrapegoat that you can sacrifice to know what a software does.
(It's just an unused isolated machine that you can plant malwares and phish yourself to see what it does and where it comes from)

Any suggestions and requirements for this?
(Like (in)security, firewall settings, specs...etc)

I am willing to sacrifice three unused computers to contribute to this forum.

EDIT: Clarification.
1. The topic of this question is "how can I set up a computer so I can test malwares on it without hurting other computers".
2. This topic is NOT about "I want to ruin some computers, any suggestions?".
3. I am not going to use VirtualBox, or Sandboxie. They're good,but I can't add files there externally (VirtualBox) and Sandboxie sometimes fails to start up when infected.

Try to use comodo firewall in paranoid mode and the sandbox in fully virtualize. So you can see what malware does to the system

SkyboundSteven

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Jun 30, 2014
The best and most secure are VirtualBox or VMware.
I need to put files externally, and both of them doesn't support this action. Sadly.
My virus DB is not working well with either VirtualBox or VMWare. (It's an virtual hard disk, which is actually a USB drive)
I can't use Cloud because I need to limit internet access to prevent spreading.

Dubseven

Level 14
Verified
Aug 12, 2013
I need to put files externally, and both of them doesn't support this action. Sadly.
My virus DB is not working well with either VirtualBox or VMWare. (It's an virtual hard disk, which is actually a USB drive)
I can't use Cloud because I need to limit internet access to prevent spreading.

Make a local FTP and upload/receive files from.

Dani Santos

From Xvirus
Verified
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Jun 3, 2014
Since I failed on the creation of servers for game called "Minecraft" and "Starbound", I was so traumatized.
Maybe I can try your recommendation though. Thanks a lot!
is explaining enough or you need images?

D

Deleted member 21043

I would go for Dubseven recommendations if I were to do it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.