Advice Request Any tips to remove the malware called pre-installed McFee ?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I have de-installed McFee which came with the new laptop of my girlfriend. All is gone except a folder in Program Files/Common. Any tips on how to delete these services (unable to remove them with autostarts or fileassassine

1620059185062.png

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I'm not sure what you used to uninstall McAfee but it is often a good idea to use the AV vendor's uninstall tools, or read up on how to do it on their websites. I believe this is at least partially due to the fact that AVs go so deep into a system that other uninstallers don't always find everything. While the vendor should know where every last bit of their software is installed and which bits of it are the hardest to remove. I had issues with Norton leftovers on a device a couple of years ago and found that running their recommended uninstaller, even after the normal uninstall that came with the AV had left things behind, cleaned up the remnants afterwards, the same may work with McAfee.🤞

Have you tried a re-boot?

I have not used any McAfee products for a very long time, it was possibly running Stinger to look for bugs that had got onto a device about 10 years ago. So I'm not the most knowledgable on their products and you've probably tried these solutions already as you know a lot of good IT-related things.

Edit - added this link - How to uninstall McAfee? [Completely] | Do you need McAfee?

Last edited:

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
I use Iobit Unlocker to delete files that are hard to remove, works every time for me, so far. I install, use it, then uninstall it, no need for it to be installed on my computer permanently as I may only use it twice a year.

Reactions: Cortex

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
You can use Antivirus Removal Tool to scan for leftovers (and remove them manually) and it can be used to run the official McAfee uninstall tool:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Additionally, you can use the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST) to see if and if necessary clean leftover registered security programs in Windows Security Center, like mentioned by @SeriousHoax here:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Personally, I would keep it as McAfee has improved a lot recently. If you really made up your mind, a clean install of Windows would give you peace of mind.
Likely to be a free trial, unless OP bought it as a bundle, a clean install may break functionality of some laptop manufacturer-exclusive features.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.