Anyone have experience with Bluecat?

Elizabeth Payton

Thread author
Jun 19, 2017
Hey guys,

I recently came across this forum because I was trying to find anyone who has experience with Bluecat. They provide DNS protection services and I'm possibly looking to get it for my business. Their product listings are here DNS, DHCP & IPAM Solutions | BlueCat

Can you guys tell me your personal experiences or do you think their services are necessary for me. I run a chain of restaurants in Toronto.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hey guys,

I recently came across this forum because I was trying to find anyone who has experience with Bluecat. They provide DNS protection services and I'm possibly looking to get it for my business. Their product listings are here DNS, DHCP & IPAM Solutions | BlueCat

Can you guys tell me your personal experiences or do you think their services are necessary for me. I run a chain of restaurants in Toronto.
Well, this forum is primarily for home users, but there are experts here who know about commercial and corporate situations as well.
The security solution that is most highly recommended here for business users is called Appguard. It defines policies that restrict what software can and cannot do. This is much more effective and foolproof than trying to filter out the bad URLs by means of DNS.

EDIT: By the way, if you can get those computers on Windows 10 with latest updates, it is inherently more secure than Windows 7. You will be immune to a lot of the bad stuff floating around, although not all of it.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Not related to your request, but have you seen this:

Fileless malware targeting US restaurants

A solid policy restriction application like AppGuard would be a good way to tighten down on script execution on your network if you aren't using one. Here is a video on this fileless malware against Comodo Firewall. Comodo is not properly configurable for a network, but the video illustrates what containment and policy restriction can do...i.e. make you very happy :):

Video Review - Comodo Firewall vs Fileless Malware

As for DNS protection services, hopefully someone with some experience will come along with some input on Bluecat or some otherwise tips or advice.

D

Deleted member 178

Hey guys,

Problem with secured DNS is the same as with AVs, most of them rely upon a blacklist which is totally inefficient in term of security.
Now on your case , you must define a strategy based on:
1- what your business is made for
2- what your network is used for
3- then select the proper tools.

Last edited by a moderator:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you have covered all your other bases this is not needed. Even if you have money to spend use them in other areas to protect your organization because this kind of protection is trivial at best.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Hey guys,

This is basically a SaaS with a primary focus on granular control of DNS. (and VDI DHCP) Unfortunately I don't have experience with this particular firm but you can find a wealth of firms offering SaaS and ITaaS types of services. I assume you are working to reduce your IT budget and are looking to retain a firm to manage such matters, is that correct? As with most corporate/enterprise, you want to avoid products/services that will increase false positives, constant warnings/popups and require intense management which will drive up your IT support costs, increase employee frustration and possibly impede productivity. There is a fine line between protecting your networks and causing too much inconveniences.

Also look into a managed services provider. (Google Managed IT Services for your city) For a small monthly fee they will remotely manage all of your IT. They can handle out of state activity with local contractors, etc. One area to touch on that is critical, your email protection. Be sure to have a centralized, managed spam/antivirus/ransomware system setup for email. Either SaaS or utilize a cloud solution like Trend HES w/Machine Learning for attachments if you have IT that can manage it. Having a robust, managed and carefully turned hosted email protection solution is absolutely critical.

Finally.. Be worried about any IT that recommends Windows Defender as a stand alone, sole protection on endpoints. Question any IT that recommends Sonicwall. We see a lot of BAD IT using Sonicwall and there is a reason for this. Sonicwall will actually program the entire UTM/NGFW for you for free. Other UTM appliance companies will not do this. So if someone gravitates toward Sonicwall, in a good number of cases they just don't know enough about corporate/enterprise gateway protection to stand on their own two feet. (not always the case, but in most of the cases I have seen - yes)

Lastly - if you are asking these questions then I would consider hiring a consultant or professional to vet solutions for you. That way you won't have as many surprises or make as many mistakes. Good luck in your ventures!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.