Advice Request Anyone heard of this? ITop VPN "The Only 100% Free VPN on the planet."

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Lol, I'm losing the count of new VPNs, every day a new one, at least for me.

"Different from other VPN services, iTop VPN does not collect any information from users, even the login information is only used for identification purpose and accessing iTop VPN services. In addition, iTop has a great support team which can continue offering prompt and effective support to users 7*24 hours!"

Upvote 0

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Mentioned VPN claims "no logging", but privacy policy states:

What Information We Collect

To maximize your privacy, iTop VPN only collects the minimum information to provide a better user experience.

• Log Data: Log data may include the following information- browser type, web pages you visit, time spent on those pages, access times and dates.
  • Personal Information: Personal information is information that may be of a private or sensitive nature, and which identifies or may identify you. The Personal Information we may collect and retain includes your IP address, your name and email address, screen name, payment and billing information or other information we may ask from time to time as will be required for the on-boarding process and services provisioning.
  • Installed Applications: details of applications that are installed on the user’s device.
So basically, this "VPN" which is so secure and meant to make you private, knows you have installed Tor, at what time and date you accessed it, which specific websites you visited, with what original IP address, your full name, email address, billing information (despite its free?!). LOL!
  • 100% free
  • No ads
  • No limit
  • 24/7 support
  • No premium version
  • Closed source
Nice try NSA.

Upvote 1

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Will check to see how it works out, make a rational decision and then comment on it.

Edit: seems like a product in early beta stage, probably released last month. I would wait to use it. Guess it was made after some popular Android game was geoblocked in India.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I tried it a week or so ago, when I first saw it advertised. I Googled a section of its privacy policy, which led to some results about Hola VPN. The following review of Hola shows they have a very questionable privacy policy - which has already been mentioned here.
Hola VPN doesn’t mention much on the company website about logging information. We had to divulge deep into the product’s privacy policy.

There, in plain black and white text, the company admits to logging data.

Hola says that :

“Log data may include the following information – browser type, web pages you visit, time spent on those pages, access times, and dates.”
Hola VPN Team,

Furthermore, Hola VPN admits to logging your private information as well. It says that this not only includes your IP address but your name and email address. Perhaps most concerning is the fact that Hola VPN says that it logs your payment and billing information.

Lastly, the company admits in its privacy policy to disclosing your personal information to “other trusted third party service providers or partners for the purposes of providing you with the Services, storage, and analytics.”
As I mentioned, I did try it. While I live in Australia, it decided to connect me to a sever in Singapore, so I manually connected to a server in Australia. While I was expecting terrible performance, considering that it's a highly untrustworthy free VPN, there was actually only a very small drop in download speeds, when comparing the results of a speed test before and after installing it. Also, there actually was a slight increase in upload speeds. I was impressed by the speed, but of course due to the privacy issues, it is certainly not something I would ever use again or recommend.

Upvote 0

damolin

Nov 23, 2014
I have emailed iTop to give them a change to come here and reply to any question. I would like to see if they do and what they got to do. I know Itop is based on safeguard vpn and use amazon servers to connect us to the server in the location you choose .

we shall wait and see what they have to say this will be interesting .

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 89360

Mentioned VPN claims "no logging", but privacy policy states:

So basically, this "VPN" which is so secure and meant to make you private, knows you have installed Tor, at what time and date you accessed it, which specific websites you visited, with what original IP address, your full name, email address, billing information (despite its free?!). LOL!
  • 100% free
  • No ads
  • No limit
  • 24/7 support
  • No premium version
  • Closed source
Nice try NSA.
Oh, that's a hard pass for me. Better no VPN at all :D

Upvote 0

damolin

Nov 23, 2014
Just like any vpn none of us know what they do behind the servers your not at the server and you cant see it so if you think any different just like tor don't say it prove it . Anyone can charge for anything and do what they want. look at nord vpn in 2017 some one was in there servers for a month before they discovered them there any vpn can be hacked using some form of Voracle Attack

Reactions: Nevi and Cortex
Upvote 0

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
:) there is always a business model behind free, otherwise the bills can't be paid. Sometimes the bills are paid by investors, then the goal is to get a large marketshare. When the marketshare is reached, other 'services' are introduced, e.g. Brave planning to replace ads by their own ads (link) or Opera's VPN (for Opera Desktop) and data saving content cache servers (for Opera Mini) are paid by its adservice (link) and its mobile payment system (link).

Rule of thumb: less transparency (about the earnings behind the free business model) = less trustworthiness

Last edited:
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.