Anyone Know if System Explorer is Still Under Development?

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

Anyone know if System Explorer is still under development?

From all appearances it is dead.

Some network monitoring functions, such as destination port reporting and WhoIs lookup, do not function.

There are some other quirks as well.

Very good product otherwise.

Thanks,

hjlbx

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Version 6 came out in October, and just a few days ago the third build, 6.3 was released. Seems pretty active to me.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Yes System Explorer is still under development, yet third parties might have gone inactive so it could be possible that some of the functions with in SE do not work properly because of this.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Version 6 came out in October, and just a few days ago the third build, 6.3 was released. Seems pretty active to me.

Yes System Explorer is still under development, yet third parties might have gone inactive so it could be possible that some of the functions with in SE do not work properly because of this.

Hello cruelsister and Nico@FMA,

Thanks... I just didn't pay attention to the version # on the download page.

Best Regards,

hjlbx

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi @BoraMurdar Is it like Autoruns or is it different??
Well it's more like Process Explorer or Process Hacker but it has some in common with Comodo Autoruns

Features of System Explorer :

• Detailed information about Tasks, Processes, Modules,
  • Startups, IE Addons, Uninstallers, Windows, Services,
  • Drivers, Connections and Opened Files.
  • Easy check of suspicious files via VirusTotal, Jotti
  • service or our File Database.
  • Easy monitoring of processes activities and System changes.
  • Usage graphs of important System resources.
  • Tray Hint with detailed System and Battery status
  • WMI Browser and System Additional Info
  • Multilanguage Support

Reactions: donetao
H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello,

System Explorer or COMODO KillSwitch.

KillSwitch is fully developed, whereas System Explorer is not. Despite this fact I much prefer System Explorer. It is lighter on my specific system's resources.

Both have useful functionality that there other does not...so one is not necessarily better than the other. My opinion.

With KillSwitch you can save and export a running process list as .xsl file and "Terminate and Block" (Warning! - do not use Terminate and Block if you are not sure - otherwise restoring a the file's access/permissions will be a headache if you have never done it before. I learn very hard way. Try to save you some pain and big frustration.).

I use multiple utilities - mostly AutoRuns, ProcMon, ProcDump, KillSwitch, SysExp, and built-in W Resource Monitor...and more.

Very good learnability and usability...tabs are really nice touch.

99.9999% of the time SysExp is running on my system...doesn't that say it all?

hjlbx

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello,

System Explorer or COMODO KillSwitch.

KillSwitch is fully developed, whereas System Explorer is not. Despite this fact I much prefer System Explorer. It is lighter on my specific system's resources.

Both have useful functionality that there other does not...so one is not necessarily better than the other. My opinion.

With KillSwitch you can save and export a running process list as .xsl file and "Terminate and Block" (Warning! - do not use Terminate and Block if you are not sure - otherwise restoring a the file's access/permissions will be a headache if you have never done it before. I learn very hard way. Try to save you some pain and big frustration.).

I use multiple utilities - mostly AutoRuns, ProcMon, ProcDump, KillSwitch, SysExp, and built-in W Resource Monitor...and more.

Very good learnability and usability...tabs are really nice touch.

99.9999% of the time SysExp is running on my system...doesn't that say it all?

hjlbx

Uhhmm System Explorer is much different then Comodo KillSwitch.
Yet they sort of process the same results, where SE has a online community to draw data from and is more tuned for "technical eyes"
Comodo KillSwitch uses its own cloud like community and antimalware engines to list a new process as malicious or not.
But yes Comodo does list processes based upon threat level and reputation and SE is not.
Well a poor explanation from my end (But it will have to do as a lack of better words)

That said Killswitch is not fully developed and SE actually is.
The differences are simple, SE development and updates are slow but robust.
CKS updates are fast, unreliable and often not fixing anything but more patching up one of the many errors it has and last but not least while CKS development is much better then Comodo main programs its effectiveness compared to SE is plausible.
In regards to the options SE has compared to CKS it is pretty much the same if you know how to use it.
And those who know both tools will agree with me that both have cons and pro's yet SE seem to be doing a much more solid and efficient job.

Cheers

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello Nico,

I defer to you as you are much more knowledgeable and experienced.

KillSwitch is noting more than a customized version of Process Hacker, although I did not mention it.

There are still some issues with SE in reporting destination ports, etc. But like I said, despite this, I much prefer it.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Hello Nico,

I defer to you as you are much more knowledgeable and experienced.

KillSwitch is noting more than a customized version of Process Hacker, although I did not mention it.

There are still some issues with SE in reporting destination ports, etc. But like I said, despite this, I much prefer it.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Well yes Killswitch is indeed a customized version (I forgot to mention that thanks), however if i am not mistaken much of the goodies have been taken out of the original SE and have been replaced by Comodo crap.

"There are still some issues with SE in reporting destination ports"
Indeed these problems are still present, yet Comodo's Killswitch actually uses their firewall port reporting feature within KillSwitch.
Hence why Killswitch seems to do a better job on that part.

But yeah thanks for the comment.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
Hello Nico,

I did not know regarding KillSwitch firewall port reporting.

It is daunting task to learn about all of this stuff. Can be overwhelming if try to wrap head around too much.

My understanding is very limited as I do not possess the base knowledge. That is why I am here.

I am a chemist by education...so I have no knowledge base for IT.

Unfortunately, installing X or Y security software means nothing in terms of actual security if you do not know many, many things. That X or Y software will protect, in and of itself, is absolute error.

Plus, book smart is only very small part. Experience is everything...as book training prepares you very little for real-world...at least in my field.

Thanks,

hjlbx

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.