Troubleshoot Anyone used NT Password?

fifagenis

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 7, 2017
My bad forgot his login password of Windows 10 computer at home. I did a bit research in Google and found out there are a lot of people recommending Offline NT Password and Registry Editor.

I followed the steps and made a bootable disk. I managed to reset the password via command line but when I reboot the computer, it still asks me for password. What is the problem in here? Any free alternative better than it for beginners? thanks

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I did use this program before posting in here. It still asks me password after reset.
The idea is creating another account, which is then used to login in order to change your main account's password.

I've started to conclude that the account you using isn't a local account but a Microsoft account(outlook, live), can you confirm on this?

Reactions: ispx
Upvote 0

charles2

Level 1
Sep 13, 2017
Offline NT Password and Registry Editor works with local user only, you can try to use it to enable the built-in hidden administrator account, and then reboot and you should be able to access your PC.

Reactions: przemo_one
Upvote 0

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
It is not Microsoft account. I am sure about that. Thanks
If none of the mentioned methods work for you, especially using the Win10 USB/DVD method, then you're most likely doing a step wrongly or missing one. You may try the last guide I provided while looking carefully at it every step from another device, also note that it will NOT reset your default account's password, but rather CREAT a new account that you can use to have control over your computer and reset your default account's password.

That new account will be available from the dropdown menu on the down-left side of your screen. As shown in the last screenshot of that guide.

Last edited:
Reactions: ispx
Upvote 0

charles2

Level 1
Sep 13, 2017
Apart from Offline NT Password and Registry Editor, you can also try Hiren's BootCD, System Rescue CD, Ubuntu Live CD or other Linux bootable discs. But, after resetting your password, you'll lose access to EFS encrypted files and stored passwords in your web browser, Outlook, etc. The most secure / reliable way is to recover the lost password with Ophcrack, but it may take a very long time to crack your password.

Reactions: fifagenis
Upvote 0

fifagenis

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 7, 2017
If none of the mentioned methods work for you, especially using the Win10 USB/DVD method, then you're most likely doing a step wrongly or missing one. You may try the last guide I provided while looking carefully at it every step from another device, also note that it will NOT reset your default account's password, but rather CREAT a new account that you can use to have control over your computer and reset your default account's password.

That new account will be available from the dropdown menu on the down-left side of your screen. As shown in the last screenshot of that guide.

Thanks for the advice. I just did as you said and it worked great by creating a new account. However, before trying it out, I managed to get into the computer with the help of command prompt.

Upvote 0

przemo_one

Level 3
Verified
Feb 4, 2014
I don't have experience with Windows 10, but in Windows 7 when resetting password didn't work I enabled hidden Administrator account.
After enabling that I removed Admin / Master user password from Windows, then log in on that account to make Administrator account hidden again. That's all I did.

Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I just did as you said and it worked great by creating a new account. However, before trying it out, I managed to get into the computer with the help of command prompt.
Whoa, that is a great way to take control over the computer locally. :eek:
You have just given me a headache: How to block sethc.exe from executing?!

From the login screen, the shift key is then quickly tapped 5 times which allows winlogon.exe to run CMD presenting a CLI at Administrator level - this happens pre-logon...

Upvote 0

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Whoa, that is a great way to take control over the computer locally. :eek:
You have just given me a headache: How to block sethc.exe from executing?!
To gain control over a PC in this way, physical access to that computer is required obviously, so you have the option to disable booting from from USB/DVD and set a password to your Motherboard BIOS, though this still breakable since one can reset BIOS settings to defaults from a "reset" button on motherboards.

Reactions: fifagenis
Upvote 0

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
To gain control over a PC in this way, physical access to that computer is required obviously,
Sure, but protecting a local account is also important, even bitlocker would not do much good, if anyone could simply login.

Anyway, I will use this, it prevents it from being run and being copied over.

Code:
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\System32\sethc.exe" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\System32\sethc.exe" /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"
takeown /f "%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\sethc.exe" /a
icacls "%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\sethc.exe" /remove "Administrators" "Authenticated Users" "Users" "System"

Attachments

• capture_09202017_200537.jpg
    capture_09202017_200537.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 463
Last edited:
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

LOL we reset passwords all of the time on systems. The easiest way is with the CMD rename/copy of Utility Manager. Best backdoor ever. No tools needed.

Reset a Windows 10 password

Best of all, if you don't copy the Ultilman back, you can backdoor the computer over and over again with a single click. :oops:

Reactions: TairikuOkami
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.