Advice Request Anyone using MBRFilter?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
I experienced the same thing during testing Ransom0ff on Windows 10 that I installed on purpose to Legacy. Always quick on the draw to delete after removing the KEY (Ransom0ff also employs an MBR upper filter) with an alternate route to get to the system I was greeted the same way.

Had to resort to an image restore. HeiDef later explained my rookie mistake in doing that. Had a crash on one of the early betas and thought it would be a breeze but turned out BLUE of course.

Those guys who drew up and released MbrFilter, if they are such a whiz doesn't it make you wonder why they didn't do a better job to help these poor folks like Windows_Security is just done in this thread for some?

Reactions: AtlBo

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
OK, duoble click the UpperFilters registry key, it will show a pop-up with multiple values in it

upload_2017-6-16_8-50-30.png

Remove the value MBRFilter, in the UpperFilters key (so not the actual key itself, when you remove the UpperFilters key, you will remove other values as well, which causes the BSOD).

it should be in the list of the displayed values. Don't touch other values. Post a picture again when you are unsure.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
OK, duoble click the UpperFilters registry key, it will show a pop-up with multiple values in it

Remove the value MBRFilter, in the UpperFilters key (so not the actual key itself, when you remove the UpperFilters key, you will remove other values as well, which causes the BSOD).

it should be in the list of the displayed values. Don't touch other values. Post a picture again when you are unsure.

Thanks a lot...did removed the key from "UpperFilters" successfully this time.No BSOD.... With Mbr filter running RUFUS was a task in itself...thanks again for saving my life.

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for all the input. Maybe I'll try this soon. Only one question. If I partition with MBR Filter in place, am I asking for trouble?

Reactions: EASTER and Visa

Visa

Level 1
Verified
May 31, 2017
Thanks for all the input. Maybe I'll try this soon. Only one question. If I partition with MBR Filter in place, am I asking for trouble?
Is there an option to disable the MBR protection? If so, then do that before partitioning and then re-enable it. That way you never have to estimate and find out a surprise result. :)

AtlBo

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
@Visa thanks. I'll create a clean image backup before I install MBR Filter and then try it and see what options are available. Great to have this thread for a reference to remove it so thanks for all the posts and input to everyone :)

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
i think i read that if you want to do things that MBRfilter blocks normally (format USB etc), boot into safe mode and do those things

EASTER

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
May 9, 2017
Thanks a lot...did removed the key from "UpperFilters" successfully this time.No BSOD.... With Mbr filter running RUFUS was a task in itself...thanks again for saving my life.

Thank goodness it's back to running right again.

How about that Windows_Security? What I can't figure is why developers like for mbrFilter just be outright clear about the uninstall in the first place for users so they don't get trapped into this ordeal.

Reactions: Brahman and AtlBo

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
Thank goodness it's back to running right again.

How about that Windows_Security? What I can't figure is why developers like for mbrFilter just be outright clear about the uninstall in the first place for users so they don't get trapped into this ordeal.
Yes, The developers should have provided at-least correct information about the uninstall procedure. If some one does go by their instruction, the result will not be pleasing to eye..

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Dev should at the very least say in plain english "delete this text" then give the exact text to delete IMO
with the current instructions, it makes it a guessing game once you have installed it already and look for uninstall instructions after that

better instructions would be to show screenshot of what it looked like BEFORE installation, and then AFTER installation too
then it is perfectly clear which text to delete and what it should look like (should look like it did before installation)

thanks to the members in this thread who made it clear for all :)
and that the screenshot was uploaded to MalwareTips forums itself, which means it won't disappear after some time ;):cool:

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
The moral of the story is be very,very careful when editing the registry or better still check out if something is as easy to uninstall as it is to install before installing it.

Regards Eck:)

Gremlin_groj

Jul 6, 2017
Good day. I am from Ukraine, and since last week we have had problems with the grievous virus Petya. So, for the future, to protect against such threats since yesterday, I started using the MBRFilter. Today, 2 hosts were found, Windows 7 x64, which had problems with flash drives, namely, they were in the system without working drivers. After shutting down the MBRFilter all worked. In the system logs there are such entries as "Failed to load the driver \ Driver \ MBRFilter for USBSTOR \ Disk & Ven_Kingston & Prod_DT_101_G2 & Rev_1.00 \ 001CC0EC348AFD109B263D63 & 0.". After disabling the MBRFlitter, the entry changed to "Failed to load the driver \ Driver \ WUDFRd for the WpdBusEnumRoot \ UMB \ 2 & 37c186b & 0 & STORAGE # VOLUME #_ ?? _ USBSTOR # DISK & VEN_KINGSTON & PROD_DT_101_G2 & REV_1.00 # 001CC0EC348AFD109B263D63 & 0 #." Can you advise in which direction to look for a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.