Solved Anysearchmanager on Mac

RobPeak

Thread author
Dec 12, 2019
Hi, I suspect this has been raised before but I can't find an answer.

I have picked up anysearchmanager on my Mac. It has taken over my Safari, Chrome and Firefox settings and I can't reset them. Not even my home page.

It isn't in my list of Applications. MalwareBytes doesn't find it (I have run several scans). I've emptied the trash. I've tried a search with Find Any File.

I don't mind buying an alternative to MalwareBytes - but I thought that should have sorted it, and don't want to spend many if it isn't going to work

All help gratefully received.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello,

Let's check if there are any malicious profiles installed on your Mac:

1. Go to System Preferences.
  2. Click Profiles.
  3. The list will include an item “AdminPrefs“. Select this and click the remove “–” button in the lower-left corner.
If there isn’t a Profiles icon, you don’t have any profiles installed, which is normal.

RobPeak

Thread author
Dec 12, 2019
Thank you for the swift reply. I’ve never looked at those profiles before. I have found quite a few, mostly called “AphroditeResults” and 3 called “”SearchSkilledData” (one of these is a Device Profile” the others are all User Profiles). I don’t know what any of them do or if it is safe to delete them.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Thank you for the swift reply. I’ve never looked at those profiles before. I have found quite a few, mostly called “AphroditeResults” and 3 called “”SearchSkilledData” (one of these is a Device Profile” the others are all User Profiles). I don’t know what any of them do or if it is safe to delete them.
Yes, it's safe to remove them all. Please do remove them, then check the browser settings.

RobPeak

Thread author
Dec 12, 2019
Thanks you so much. That seems to have worked. I'll keep an eye on those profiles.

I have the free version of MalwareBytes. Do you think the Premium version is worth the annual fee? i.e. would it have stopped this happening?

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Do you think the Premium version is worth the annual fee? i.e. would it have stopped this happening?
Tough question, these potentially unwanted programs/browser hijackers are very hard to stop by anti-malware products because they always change sites and something in the code. The best layer of protection for your computer is you, don't install programs that you don't trust. Now, I would recommend that you install an ad blocker for your browser.
For Safari: AdGuard for Safari | Overview | AdGuard
For Chrome: uBlock Origin
For Firefox: uBlock Origin – Get this Extension for 🦊 Firefox (en-US)
As far as Malwarebytes Premium, it has great web protection and decent real-time protection, I use it on my laptop and it works great. I would really recommend that you use that 14-days trial and see if you like it. If not, you can try another antivirus, however, I do recommend that you install one.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.