Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I used Aomei Onekey for recovery after experiencing a glitch in my system recently. One-click and you're done. It worked like a charm! I recommend this as a great program for those with less technical skill, or anyone who wants an extremely easy recovery tool. (y)

You introduced me to Brave. Thank you for that.

And now I'll check out Aomei OneKey.

:emoji_beer:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Hello Everyone,

I can personally say that I have used AOMEI OneKey Recovery in a personal (non-commercial) environment. The power behind the software is quite amazing! I would strongly encourage others to take a good look at the software on a trial basis to test it out. Granted, if your hard drive fails then one is otta' luck big time. However, in scenarios that you want to roll back your system in a different way give the software a try. I do want to say there is more than one way to accomplish the same thing, but for ease of convenience the software is worth a shot. The value in a corporate environment could be there too.

I always stress though - please (times a million) have your backup images on an external drive that is not always plugged into any other device or devices. In other words, please keep that backup external and offline. Keep that backup encrypted and keep it replicated in a 3+2+1 state. However, don't just take my word for following the 3+2+1 backup strategy:

With this being said, I also recommend that folks look at using beyond just one piece of backup software. Now I know some of you are saying “Wait....Whaaaa??? Naw this dude Brian is nutzo!” Yes, you read this correctly.

If you have never gotten burned on a backup failing - that's great! I'm going to let you in on a secret - it is bound to happen at some point of time and it will not be great. If you have ever gotten burned you know what I am talking about when it comes to having a backup fail - that is never fun. Back to that 3+2+1 rule. Always follow that. I would then say add another piece of software in the mix. I'm not saying you have to go as extensive as I have highlighted my setup for my security config. However, using another piece of software every now and then can not only ensure peace of mind, but make sure that you can without a doubt restore your computer back to a given point of time.

Am I crazy in suggesting this? Let me know your thoughts!

I was talking at a security conference recently and I asked the following question to the audience in attendance: "How many of you have been burned by your backup software? Have you had the software fail in restoring a critical system back in time? If so did you have to restore functionality by going even further back in time to an older backup as that most recent backup failed?" Golly, I had 20+ folks raise their hands and I even got a few folks shouting back at me how bad it feels when this happens. After all that testing of the backups, rotation of the backups etc. Having more than one method of backup, following the 3+2+1 backup strategy, and using another piece of software is part of the many many keys of a good backup strategy.

Folks from local large organizations and organizations from all over the US that has a local presence spoke up about their frustrations with backups failing during routine backup/restore procedures. After opening up a very large round table type of discussion a few organizations that employ over fifty thousand (50,000+) folks spoke up. These IT professionals were saying after having issues in the past they have gone with multiple different backup methods to ensure should something in the future happen… they are ready.

Now I know I went a little “off topic” per say. However, I want to hammer home that the ease and convenience of having AOMEI OneKey Recovery on hand could be a game changer so one doesn’t have to go looking for that one particular backup stored somewhere. Again, if that hard drive dies one is majorly otta’ luck. Would I recommend the software – yup! Would I also recommend following other data strategies – for sure without a doubt!

PS: Backing up to tape in the corporate environment is coming back big time. Yes, backing up to the cloud is the latest craze, but the old-fashioned tapes are still a thing and is getting more traction/usage now with ransomware being a fairly large threat.

~Brian

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Last edited:

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
I used Aomei Onekey for recovery after experiencing a glitch in my system recently. One-click and you're done. It worked like a charm! I recommend this as a great program for those with less technical skill, or anyone who wants an extremely easy recovery tool. (y)
the best recovery tool for persons without experience. One click and finish. :emoji_ok_hand:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Yeah, the middle class in this country got left behind.

But thank goodness that all the multi-millionaires and billionaires got really big tax cuts this year.

Thanks @Lightning_Brian for the informative post.

Your welcome @Burrito ! I always like to give my opinion about stuff - especially software I have used/tried or currently use. Good stuff!

Hope everyone is doing well!
~Brian

broughie

Level 2
Verified
Sep 11, 2013
Installed it on both win8.1 laptop and win10 desktop a while ago and it restored everything fully on both machines after major gliches caused by windows updates. Lifesaver on Win10 after system restore failed to work . Excellent reliable one click & free programme.

Reactions: oldschool

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
On Windows 10 version 1809+ you will have to install Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit + the PE module to use Aomei OneKey Recovery. These kits are no longer included in a standard Windows installation from 1809+. I had some issues installing WADK and needed to run sfc /scannow to fix some corrupt files. This was successful but I still had some fits and starts getting Aomei to create a backup, including needing to reinstall Aomei.

Based on my experience, here is my suggestion for those interested in installing and using Aomei OneKey on Windows 10 1809+:

Please note: You may wish to run sfc /scannow before you begin the steps above to identify any issues, e.g. corrupt files, especially if you install/unistall apps regularly.

1. Download Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows 10 1809 & Preinstallation Enivronment (PE) add-on.
You may get both downloads here: Download and install the Windows ADK

2. First install ADK and then PE add-on. If you encounter problems, run sfc /scannow.

3. Restart

4. Download and install Aomei OneKey Recovery, which you may find here: Download AOMEI OneKey Recovery Free 1.6.2

5. Restart

Now you should be able to use OneKey to create a recovery partition and backup. (y)

I imagine that Windows ADK and PE add-on may change with future versions of Windows 10, but who knows?
l

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.