Advice Request app & browser control missing!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Hi MT,
I've got Win11 Pro running on a machine and today I noticed the little yellow " ! " was on the Windows Security tray with a recommendation.
However, when I open "app & browser control" it just instantly closes again. Also, "app and browser control" is now missing from the "security at a glance" page.
If I put "core isolation" in the search bar and try to open that I get the popup:
MySnip.jpg

I also noticed that right of the "Device Security" leaf, it now says "Standard hardware security not supported".
I checked my BIOS and TMP, Secure Boot, UEFi & DEP are all on and have been unchanged for months.
I ran the Microsoft "PC Health Check" app the check if my Win11 PC can run Win11 and it reports all tests passed.

How should I proceed usage wise on this PC until I have time to tinker/reinstall/restore etc? How much bigger is the attack surface w/o these things working? Is it likely anything else under the hood is busted?

FYI it does seem this is a known issue to Microsoft since built 22621.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are you running a stable OS build? Have you checked this thread?

In that case, you could try doing a repair install of Windows 11 below to try and fix this without losing anything.

Repair Install Windows 11 with an In-place Upgrade Tutorial

If you are having problems with Windows 11 on your PC and the usual solutions will not fix Windows 11, you can do a repair install of Windows 11 by performing an in-place upgrade without losing anything. You will keep all accounts, apps, and personal data. Repair install requirements: You...
I would check the thread for other potential solutions posed in later posts to possibly avoid a repair install. Check post #37 and later.

Last edited:

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
Are you running a stable OS build? Have you checked this thread?

I would check the thread for other potential solutions posed in later posts to possibly avoid a repair install. Check post #37 and later.
Thanks for the links. It seems I don't have the problematic folder that they mention but I do have "send Microsoft optional diagnostic data" turned off which is the other problem that is associated with this issue. Unfortunately I've no clue how to turn it back on as this PC is saying "its under a setting managed by my organisation" and the on/off switch it greyed out.
This is a private user - personal install of Win11 Pro so it makes no sense why its saying an organisation manages it.
Hi MT,
I've got Win11 Pro running on a machine and today I noticed the little yellow " ! " was on the Windows Security tray with a recommendation.
However, when I open "app & browser control" it just instantly closes again. Also, "app and browser control" is now missing from the "security at a glance" page.
If I put "core isolation" in the search bar and try to open that I get the popup:
View attachment 270240
I also noticed that right of the "Device Security" leaf, it now says "Standard hardware security not supported".
I checked my BIOS and TMP, Secure Boot, UEFi & DEP are all on and have been unchanged for months.
I ran the Microsoft "PC Health Check" app the check if my Win11 PC can run Win11 and it reports all tests passed.

How should I proceed usage wise on this PC until I have time to tinker/reinstall/restore etc? How much bigger is the attack surface w/o these things working? Is it likely anything else under the hood is busted?

FYI it does seem this is a known issue to Microsoft since built 22621.
It seems like "app & browser control" was somehow flicked off via a Win11 glitch or 3rd party app. The problem is that "app & browser control" can now only be switched back on via a fresh windows install so I am stuck with the yellow " ! " on the Windows Security try icon until I do that. Microsoft will also switch it off for you if they determine that during an initial evaluation period after installing Windows 11 they decide that your PC is not a good candidate for "app & browser control".
I've reinstalled Windows 11 and have "app & browser control" on. Its very strict - can't install AMD automatic driver detector due to some component not having an up-to-date signature.

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
@Cleo "This is a private user - personal install of Win11 Pro so it makes no sense why its saying an organisation manages it."
Do you use O&O shutup 10 by chance? If you use it some of the tweaks can lead to the "organistation manged" in some parts of Windows e.g. Edge. So maybe revert your tweaks and reboot if you used it.

Cleo

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
May 25, 2020
@Cleo "This is a private user - personal install of Win11 Pro so it makes no sense why its saying an organisation manages it."
Do you use O&O shutup 10 by chance? If you use it some of the tweaks can lead to the "organistation manged" in some parts of Windows e.g. Edge. So maybe revert your tweaks and reboot if you used it.
I don't use anything. I had Avira, office, amd suite, intel assistant, adguard and a few browser extensions for edge. A fairly barebone setup.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.