App tracking: Why it's bad and how to stop it.

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Most apps track you - not just when you use the app, but oftentimes also silently in the background. Whether you are using games, weather, fitness or social apps, it's likely that these apps send data to data brokers, or even to Google, Facebook and other tech giants. While this should be no news, the scale of this massive data accumulation is quite scary.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I've tried explaining to the assistant at the checkout why I don't want a stores app on my phone when I'm asked if I have it on numerous occasions. Blank looks are common, followed by '..but you get discounts...' etc !! :censored:

enaph

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I've tried explaining to the assistant at the checkout why I don't want a stores app on my phone when I'm asked if I have it on numerous occasions. Blank looks are common, followed by '..but you get discounts...' etc !! :censored:
Same here. Another common practice is asking buyers to create an account for future and/or online orders. Hell f no!

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
Just save them and yourself time with just a "no". I'm pretty sure they have to ask like the greeting they have to give. So whatever opinion they have about it they have to ask every customer.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Just save them and yourself time with just a "no". I'm pretty sure they have to ask like the greeting they have to give. So whatever opinion they have about it they have to ask every customer.
Sure, customer service training can focus heavily on promotong the company concerned. I hate to say it, but I quickly got bored with their blanks looks, hate that because its good to help others if you can IMO and can help the rest of us in the long run through not spreading bad things. I was getting a few even blanker looks when I told some of them that I'd already told them that I didn't have the store app the previous week and that I never would do! Whats the matter with this customer, why do they hate our store app (and the discounts) so much?!

Freki123

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Aug 10, 2013
I hate to say it, but I quickly got bored with their blanks looks, hate that because its good to help others if you can IMO and can help the rest of us in the long run through not spreading bad things.
I agree with helping others, that's why I would tell my friends/family about such things. They don't have to follow any customer service training. I understand your point I just think they have no choice then to ask sadly.
But everyone has a different approach and opinion about such things :)

monkeylove

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 9, 2014
Customers by default will complain while businesses argue otherwise. The catch is that many customers are employees or owners of businesses.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.