AppCheck Anti-Ransomware

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plat1098

OK, I'm trying this on a gaming machine and there is no appreciable impact so far; it's so quiet and modest with RAM (<11 MB). I really like the user interface--and there is a fast on-demand scanner. I would like to know from an independent tester how effective this scanner is for multipurpose use. I tell you, this machine can boot to the desktop after a Bad_system_config_info blue screen with less than 3GB allocated RAM (not kidding) yet HitmanPro will freeze the system completely after getting stuck on some .dll and then my cancelling the scan. So, HMP is headed for replacement, but to be fair, this machine has been ugly and impudent after the Fall CU. So, things change.

Currently AppCheck is residing with Windows Defender (3/6 exploit guards disabled) and OSArmor. Is there anything from AMTSO or elsewhere one can recommend to test AppCheck real quick? :whistle:

Reactions: upnorth
D

Deleted member 65228

There is a whole bunch of reviews on Appcheck here Videos - CheckMAL
You realise the videos you linked us to are biased, right?

The videos from the linked source were made by CheckMAL themselves - it's just marketing. They aren't exactly going to turn around and post a video demonstrating how their product failed to block a zero-day ransomware variant...

Reactions: upnorth
D

Deleted member 65228

Currently AppCheck is residing with Windows Defender (3/6 exploit guards disabled) and OSArmor. Is there anything from AMTSO or elsewhere one can recommend to test AppCheck real quick? :whistle:
Use Windows Defender with a tweaked Exploit Guard alongside NVT OSArmor and you'll be good. You don't necessarily need to add AppCheck at all. If you want something more enhanced, use HitmanPro.Alert which now also has an Anti-Malware engine embedded within it (over WDEG/AppCheck) and will truly tackle exploits.

You can also make use of Controlled Folder Access (CFA) in Windows Defender via Group Policies.

P

plat1098

Use Windows Defender with a tweaked Exploit Guard alongside NVT OSArmor and you'll be good. You don't necessarily need to add AppCheck at all. If you want something more enhanced, use HitmanPro.Alert which now also has an Anti-Malware engine embedded within it (over WDEG/AppCheck) and will truly tackle exploits.

You can also make use of Controlled Folder Access (CFA) in Windows Defender via Group Policies.

Thanks for advice. :) I used HitmanPro.Alert beta/stable for several years, until the irritating thing with the frozen Start menu/taskbar came up. Even though there was a registry workaround to address the issue, Alert is not coming back on here. I have various little issues with false positives and disruptions with Controlled folder access and the exploit guards (sounds like a funky music band, right? lol)--this current configuration is very pleasant and non-intrusive and installations of various software is uninterrupted (mostly). Since I use Emsi commandline scanner, another on-demand to take HitmanPro's place would be welcome.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
You realise the videos you linked us to are biased, right?

The videos from the linked source were made by CheckMAL themselves - it's just marketing. They aren't exactly going to turn around and post a video demonstrating how their product failed to block a zero-day ransomware variant...
Well, I know that. But it will show the ones it can block anyway if you get what I mean.

P

plat1098

Since I use Emsi commandline scanner, another on-demand to take HitmanPro's place would be welcome.

So I sent a support request to CheckMAL and received a nice reply. The feature request of disabling the Service and remaining disabled after restart/notification to enable will be sent to the development team for consideration.

The scanner, by report, is currently only specific for ransomware-related issues. CheckMAL confirmed the scanner's capability will be expanded to include PUPs and more general issues with upcoming versions. That's good news to me. :)

Reactions: Rebsat and upnorth

Ikko

From AppCheck
Thread author
Verified
Developer
Jan 1, 2017
Anybody wants CheckMAL’s laptop sticker?

You can see 8 stickers below.
Select the one which you like the most and leave a comment :)

스티커1.png스티커2.png

I will send it to everyone who leaves a comment from July 11th – July 13th.

After writing the comment, enter the address / name to receive the mail.
Please enter the correct information through the link below.
https://goo.gl/forms/2gpj6siveciNnxAh2

The information will not be used for any other purposes.
This event may be changed according to the quantity of sticker.

Reactions: Andrew999
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.