AppCheck what's with the constant disk i/o!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzfas

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 8, 2013
I just installed latest Appcheck and had to uninstall it. Constant i/o read/writes, even when everything was idle. I reboot, same thing. It didn't even have the time to create any backup folders yet, but constant disk activity... I tried to disable the "shelter" thing, but didn't change anything...

I like the application for being so friendly, but this constant disk access is both a performance killer and an SSD/HDD killer.

dallas683

Nov 5, 2017
I/O reads and writes as reported in Task Manager and other Windows process tools is not "constant disk access."

AppCheck Free or Pro is not "a performance killer and an SSD/HDD killer."

The correct use of an appropriate tool rectifies this unfortunate misinformation:
AppCheckDiskRW.jpg

Found in about 30 seconds with google...
I/O Reads - The number of read input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os.
I/O Write Bytes - The number of bytes written in input/output operations generated by a process, including file, network, and device I/Os.

Last edited:
Reactions: XhenEd

dallas683

Nov 5, 2017
I think it's an internal problem from itself program
Not seeing this on five Win7 and Win10 systems running Free and Pro.

I won't be revisiting this thread. My purpose was to correct the unfortunate "constant (disk) I/O" and "performance...SSD/HDD killer" misinformation.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
the backup box is unchecked. its the free version
I think it's an internal problem from itself program or the shelter function.
Do you see this kind of behavior with Heilig Ransomoff?

D

Deleted member 65228

attacking & destroying folder from HitmanPro Alert protection modules.
I've tested AppCheck a lot in the past and it performed really nicely some of the times. It may be a compatibility issue with HitmanPro.Alert and this would not surprise me because both of them offer ransomware protection and thus you'd be overlaying both products (potentially) by using both at the same time. Does the Corel Paintshop Pro issue come up whilst HitmanPro.Alert is installed as well?

D

Deleted member 65228

Yes, though, the corel archives were restored by magically and automatically. I repeat, I don't have ransomware downloaded, im very meticulous. and Ive some experience in security. If I see that it's still causing problems, I uninstall it to prevent crashes or low performance..
No problem! :) I don't think you are infected, I think it is probably just a conflict issue. I've seen conflicts like this happen when using software like this in comparison with another alike it.

D

Deleted member 65228

thanks Buddy, then you adviseme to uninstall appcheck because it is not necessary if im having a Hmpa-Antiramson module, it's enough Hmpa?
I don't advise you on which one to remove because I think that would be unfair on both parties, I don't want to ruin business for either. I think you should keep the one you prefer the most and feel more comfortable with, because both are really good software owned by people who work hard. :)

It may just be a bug and not a conflict issue though. I recommend removing one for the time being and seeing if an issue persists further... In this case, if you want to do diagnostics, you could try removing HMP.A temporarily and then see how AppCheck behaves (e.g. if the problem resolved itself). :)

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
I like the application for being so friendly, but this constant disk access is both a performance killer and an SSD/HDD killer.
I have just gave AppCheck a quick check, it is realtime monitoring software, so if the other processes are active, so is it.
I would blame Windows or other software. It is taking 0,07% CPU and 12B/s at idle on mine, hardly considered an activity.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 363
D

Deleted member 65228

For what it is worth, I assume AppCheck has a file-system mini-filter device driver. I know they have a Windows Service (Session 0). Typically what security software does is it forwards file-system notifications (from a kernel-mode callback called FltRegisterFilter -> used by the file-system mini-filter driver) to the service and then gets back a response on whether the activity should be allowed or not, depending on the circumstances. I can always attempt to verify if this is the case if necessary.

With this logic in mind, if there is running software doing a lot of file access/write requests, then it can cause security software to use more system resources due to the increase of scan requests -> processing the requests to determine whether the activity is suspicious or fine.

Meaning that @TairikuOkami said could also be the case -> more system resources used such as CPU/disk usage by the service process depending on behavior of other running software separate from AppCheck.

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I noticed too.... Uninstalled it. I think the ransomware era is over and most AV's now have measures to counter a ransomware attack.

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
None of those problems using AppCheck 2.2.1.2 on Win7. I also got running Eset Internet Security, HitmanPro, AppGuard. The Quarantine and Detection logs are empty and only normal things in Event log.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I noticed too.... Uninstalled it. I think the ransomware era is over and most AV's now have measures to counter a ransomware attack.
The measures that AVs use nowadays are not very reliable. They will only stop certain kinds of ransomware. And as soon as most AVs can stop standard ransomware effectively, most ransomware attacks will move on to the more sophisticated techniques, which already exist.

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
And as soon as most AVs can stop standard ransomware effectively, most ransomware attacks will move on to the more sophisticated techniques, which already exist.

Ransomware has only just begun and looks to be the most threatening. Just wait and see. It's the first problem that made me take security seriously after 25 years.

Reactions: shmu26
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.