App Review AppGuard against Ransomware

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
I think I was too hasty, in wanting to end the test. At one point we see a Worm activity in Isass.exe, I think it's due to Philadelphia Ransomware. I wanted to learn, but I had no time. Tomorrow I run the test again and verify better.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Good test! :)

"Philadelphia Ransomware" was expected to run. It's digitally signed. And AppGuard in Protected Mode allows all digitally signed applications to run even in user space. But all of them are Guarded, so that's why in the video the ransomware wasn't able to do its job.

But you observed something with the ransomware. Yes, please test it again. :)

The only reason why the others weren't allowed to run is not because of some next-gen AI algorithm of AppGuard (AppGuard has none, but it has patents for its technologies), but because of the simple implementation that all unsigned applications are not allowed to run in user space. :D

Protected mode in AppGuard may still pose a risk for the user. That's why @Lockdown here recommends the Lockdown mode. With it, all digitally signed (except Microsoft's) and unsigned applications are not allowed to run in user space. The Philadelphia Ransomware would not be able to run in Lockdown mode.

(by default don't check AppData).

If a file executes (like the signed Philadelphia Ransomware in the video), then it will be able to write to User Space directories (C:\Users). That's true whether you are using AppGuard or just about any other security soft. For example, execute a malicious file, and even though it is detected by behavioral detection, it can still write to AppData\*.

Malicious files that are "dropped," but not active on the system (loaded into active memory) are not an issue - unless the user navigates to the malicious file and executes it. In the case of AppGuard, a digitally unsigned file written to a C:\Users\* directory will be blocked and a digitally singed file written to C:\Users\* will be Guarded. AppGuard prevents the creation of autoruns by a digitally signed file from an untrusted publisher.

Last edited by a moderator:

"Philadelphia Ransomware" was expected to run. It's digitally signed. And AppGuard in Protected Mode allows all digitally signed applications to run even in user space. But all of them are Guarded, so that's why in the video the ransomware wasn't able to do its job.

Guarded ransomware can still encrypt C:\Users\* directories.

A user should make use of Private Folders - as these are document\data vaults. While everything in User Space can be encrypted, Private Folders will save valuable user data - if the user takes full advantage of Private Folders. The whole point is to save user data.

There are pending changes to the way that AppGuard will treat digitally signed files in next build of version 5.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Guarded ransomware can still encrypt C:\Users\* directories.

A user should make use of Private Folders - as these are document\data vaults. While everything in User Space can be encrypted, Private Folders will save valuable user data - if the user takes full advantage of Private Folders. The whole point is to save user data.

There are pending changes to the way that AppGuard will treat digitally signed files in next build of version 5.
Thanks for the info! :)

But isn't it that before the encryption begins, the ransomware has to do critical actions? I assume that AppGuard at least blocks some, if not all, of these actions of the Guarded ransomware. :)

I got this insight through BRN's own documentation about the old CryptoLocker (simulated to be digitally signed). :)

Reactions: harlan4096

Thanks for the info! :)

But isn't it that before the encryption begins, the ransomware has to do critical actions? I assume that AppGuard at least blocks some, if not all, of these actions of the Guarded ransomware. :)

No. This isn't how Guarded protections work. Some ransomware can encrypt User Space if permitted to run.

The key to protecting datas stored in User Space is to use Private Folders. A Guarded program is allowed Read-Write access to almost all folders in User Space except Private Folders.

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
No. This isn't how Guarded protections work. Some ransomware can encrypt User Space if permitted to run.

The key to protecting datas stored in User Space is to use Private Folders. A Guarded program is allowed Read-Write access to almost all folders in User Space except Private Folders.
I understand. :)

But I thought that ransomware has to do things prior to encryption. That's why I assumed that ransomware would still be blocked or crippled just like what happened to the simulated-as-digitally-signed CryptoLocker.

Reactions: harlan4096

I understand. :)

But I thought that ransomware has to do things prior to encryption. That's why I assumed that ransomware would still be blocked or crippled just like what happened to the simulated-as-digitally-signed CryptoLocker.

If you mean the video that was produced by BRN a few years ago, if you re-watch that video, you will see User Space is encrypted except for the Private Folder ("My Private Folder").

Until the revisions are made for digitally signed files, do this:

1. Use Lock Down mode
2. Take full advantage of Private Folders ("My Private Folder" and the ones you designate as Private Folders
3. Don't use tray icon context menu option "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded"

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
If you mean the video that was produced by BRN a few years ago, if you re-watch that video, you will see User Space is encrypted except for the Private Folder ("My Private Folder").
No, I don't refer to that. I'm referring to a pdf file, entitled AppGuard Stops CryptoLocker, I downloaded through the official AppGuard website. But I can't see the pdf in the internet already.

I didn't know, or just forgot, about that video. I'll watch it. Can you post the link? :)

Last edited:

1. Use Lock Down mode
2. Take full advantage of Private Folders ("My Private Folder" and the ones you designate as Private Folders
3. Don't use tray icon context menu option "Allow User Space Launches - Guarded"

4. Do Steps 1 - 3 and there is no need to sweat yourself and be paranoid

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
I see no point of using Appguard outside Lockdown Mode except to install trusted and verified software's installers.
There's the convenience of automatic updates. :)

But yeah, if one needs to be fully secured, AppGuard in Lockdown mode is the best option. :)

I see no point of using Appguard outside Lockdown Mode except to install trusted and verified software's installers.

Some people prefer it - because they just want the "perceived" convenience of not having to lower protection level from Locked Down to Protected mode and, more importantly, they don't have to create any User Space exclusions

There are enough legitimate\safe unsigned programs out there that those same people will have to lower protection level to Allow Installs

Protected mode = high protection
Locked Down mode = locked system protection

We will be making Protected mode closer to Locked Down mode - without the perceived "inconvenience" of having to make User Space exclusions - here in the near future

There's the convenience of automatic updates. :)

For some programs, automatic updates can be achieved in Locked Down mode. For others it cannot be done. And for others still, automatic updates cannot be achieved at-all - and the user must lower protection to Allow Installs.

No matter what the case, it is not difficult. I mean how difficult is it to use a tray icon to lower protection from one level to another, do what needs to be done, and then immediately after raise protection to previous level ?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
For some programs, automatic updates can be achieved in Locked Down mode. For others it cannot be done. And for others still, automatic updates cannot be achieved at-all - and the user must lower protection to Allow Installs.

No matter what the case, it is not difficult. I mean how difficult is it to use a tray icon to lower protection from one level to another, do what needs to be done, and then immediately after raise protection to previous level ?
Yeah, I agree that it's not difficult to lower protection if necessary. But it's highly convenient if you don't have to do anything to get the updates of some programs.

People who are choosing Locked Down mode accept this little inconvenience, anyway. :)

I use Locked Down or Protected mode from time to time, depending on my state of mind. :D

erreale

Level 9
Thread author
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Oct 22, 2016
Good test! :)

But you observed something with the ransomware. Yes, please test it again. :)

To perform properly the test would have to:

1) run Philadelphia
2) perform scanning where it was shown the worm loaded into memory
3) restart Guest
4) run the scan again

Reactions: XhenEd

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
To perform properly the test would have to:

1) run Philadelphia
2) perform scanning where it was shown the worm loaded into memory
3) restart Guest
4) run the scan again
I'm not sure what you mean by "scanning".

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.