AppGuard and Big Brother?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tikinoa

Thread author
Apr 17, 2016
Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of AppGuard/BlueRidgeNetworks having too close of a relationship with Big Brother? They are located in Chantilly, VA after all, and received multiple awards from Homeland Security. Look at their Directors and Senior Advisors. Kinda gives me the creeps thinking about giving them kernel level access to all my data...

N

Noxx

If you use the internet, you're willingly giving away your data. If you don't want to give away your data, don't use the internet. You can speculate all day about whether or not a security product is, or isn't tied to some intelligence agency. The point is that the product does precisely what it's marketed to do -- prevent unwanted malware, ransomware, etc, from infiltrating your PC. Take your pick -- a chance that intel has backdoored a security product (in which case, nothing changes), or not use the product, and have your life stolen by blackhats.

H

hjlbx

Anyone care to comment on the likelihood of AppGuard/BlueRidgeNetworks having too close of a relationship with Big Brother? They are located in Chantilly, VA after all, and received multiple awards from Homeland Security. Look at their Directors and Senior Advisors. Kinda gives me the creeps thinking about giving them kernel level access to all my data...

Blue Ridge Networks is a US government agency subcontractor, but the likelihood that they have built in a back door for the government is almost non-existent.

I shouldn't worry about it...

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Well technically speaking if "someone" wanted to backdoor they can easily send one in updates for Windows Vista,7,8 without even announcing it, as it would make much more sense to target the OSes than specific security products, so I would not look too much into it.

tikinoa

Thread author
Apr 17, 2016
the likelihood that they have built in a back door for the government is almost non-existent.

How can you be so sure? If we've learned anything from the Snowden leaks, it is that even independent tech companies of nearly every stripe have co-operated (usually willingly) with intelligence agencies to build in back-doors. If Intel, Cisco, et al. are doing so, aren't we pretty naive to believe that a company with such direct ties is not?

Granted, using Windows, Intel processors, etc. is a risk all in itself, but _if_ they are bad actors they need to be pointed out so people can make informed choices.

Reactions: enaph
H

hjlbx

How can you be so sure? If we've learned anything from the Snowden leaks, it is that even independent tech companies of nearly every stripe have co-operated (usually willingly) with intelligence agencies to build in back-doors. If Intel, Cisco, et al. are doing so, aren't we pretty naive to believe that a company with such direct ties is not?

Granted, using Windows, Intel processors, etc. is a risk all in itself, but _if_ they are bad actors they need to be pointed out so people can make informed choices.

Decompile AppGuard and inspect the code. Then you'll know for sure...

This might be interpreted by some as a smart-alick answer, but, in truth, it is the only way to verify or eliminate any doubts about any soft for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016

Chill...:cool:
Your overthinking things, most or all 3rd party software's do collect bits of information if you don't trust BRN do as @hjlbx suggested.
"Don't think of what can go wrong, but what can go right"

Last edited:
Reactions: enaph
I

illumination

:eek:If everyone is doing it, then the only informed choice a person can make is, turn off the internet, head out into the woods, chop down small trees, build a shelter, cover the shelter in tin foil, and remain living off grid. :eek:o_O:p;):D

All Operating systems, all 3rd party software, all Governments "collect information". Now the operating systems and 3rd party software generally do it for other reasons then the governments do. It would be rather hard for those companies to make any progress further developing their products to make them better if they did not. All Governments have been collection information on their citizens and other countries for ages, even before the internet. Not something I'm sure they will all stop any time soon.

All this said, I use it like many others here, it is excellent software, some of the best protection out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 178

Appguard tied with Echelon, prism and friends? mwhahahahahaha i don't care ! why?

because:

- we use Windows, which is backdoored (unproven but claimed by trusted sources)
- we use a smartphone, which log everything even my location (not only GPS, but via relay antenna triangulation).
- we use internet hence have an ISP who log everything and ready to give my logs to any agencies.
- our internet traffic is routed to monitoring & surveillance nods.
- we are born in a monitoring countries , all about you is archived since you get out your mother womb (your bank accounts, health situation, etc...) are at government disposal.

examples are countless.

Honestly , about Appguard, i rather let the government occasionally spying on me than letting some hackers penetrating my system. Of course , i prefer no one spying on me :p

Azure

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 23, 2014
If there's was something wrong with Appguard, our expert users here would have probably discover it.

Honestly, you shouldn't worry too much about it.

:eek:If everyone is doing it, then the only informed choice a person can make is, turn off the internet, head out into the woods, chop down small trees, build a shelter, cover the shelter in tin foil, and remain living off grid. :eek:o_O:p;):D

All Operating systems, all 3rd party software, all Governments "collect information". Now the operating systems and 3rd party software generally do it for other reasons then the governments do. It would be rather hard for those companies to make any progress further developing their products to make them better if they did not. All Governments have been collection information on their citizens and other countries for ages, even before the internet. Not something I'm sure they will all stop any time soon.

All this said, I use it like many others here, it is excellent software, some of the best protection out there.
Well, if they collected information before the internet then going to the woods would probably not matter, they will still get you :p

Appguard tied with Echelon, prism and friends? mwhahahahahaha i don't care ! why?

because:

- we use Windows, which is backdoored (unproven but claimed by trusted sources)
- we use a smartphone, which log everything even my location (not only GPS, but via relay antenna triangulation).
- we use internet hence have an ISP who log everything and ready to give my logs to any agencies.
- our internet traffic is routed to monitoring & surveillance nods.
- we are born in a monitoring countries , all about you is archived since you get out your mother womb (your bank accounts, health situation, etc...) are at government disposal.

examples are countless.

Honestly , about Appguard, i rather let the government occasionally spying on me than letting some hackers penetrating my system. Of course , i prefer no one spying on me :p
Even if all the above is true. People should learn to balance privacy/security. Like others have said, the moment you used the internet and/or other technologies you give some of your information. Though that doesn't mean you should go and post your social security on Facebook simply because you believe you have no privacy.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Well first of all their location has nothing due to with anything unless of course they are sending secret information about customers via carrier pigeon.
Multiple awards from homeland security,well if the government was using it to spy on us then I highly doubt they would proclaim it with an award to the company whose software they are using to backdoor your information.
Paranoia is running rampant,like others have said the only way to be sure nobody is spying on you is to disconnect from the internet and throw away your cell phone.
Even if the government was spying on you,what are they really going to find? I would be more worried about all the social media outlets and apps that people put all their info out there for anyone to see.Not much need for a back door.
The Government,at least the US Government,has their hands full with more pressing matters than to backdoor your PC via Appguard to see if your latest Instagram photo has a picture of someone of interest to Homeland Security.
The more pressing concern or at least justifiable paranoia should be a hacker getting your information and or locking you out of your own computer and holding it hostage.
Appguard is one program that definitely protects you and your personal information.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
As always, privacy is another side of story.

Full of conspiracy and endless doubts, but do you really blame them when in fact there is nothing wrong on the system about any possible backdoor thing?

Ask yourself.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Yes because anyone using Windows should be worried about an attack vector in Appguard. Because it's not more convenient to use your efforts to get access to the main OS that billions use. Obviously you want to get access to the few thousand users Appguard has.

Reactions: frogboy

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
Used to love AppGuard, till I noticed it likes to trigger DNS callouts to Windows Update domains. I've learned to live without this app for a better part of a month. It's just a learning curve to go without it... same thing when I ditched running an AV 24/7. Trust your common sense and your dependance on 3rd parties will reduce.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.