Appguard Configuration & Setting Discussion Thread

Thread author
Here are the event when appguard block stilus it says :

Nombre: Stilus para Word
De: file:///C:/TEMP/Stilus para Word.vsto

************** Texto de la excepción **************
System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Acceso denegado. (Excepción de HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
en System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.CreateActContext(CreateActContextParameters& Params)
en System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IsolationInterop.CreateActContext(IDefinitionAppId AppId)
en System.ActivationContext.CreateFromName(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity)
en System.ActivationContext.CreatePartialActivationContext(ApplicationIdentity identity)
en Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

The infos are not from the AppGuard log. Even translated the infos provide me nothing that identifies the issue. The AppGuard log is indicating that it is not blocking Stilus.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If i turn off all appguard protection stilus runs ok but how can i make exception?
I don't know what is blocking stilus, but I can tell you generally that there are two main kinds of exceptions in AppGuard.
1 User space -- just click on the user space tab, browse to the file or folder, add it to the list, and then -- very important -- set it to "no" in the "Include" column.
This is for when a process needs to run from User space.

2 Guarded apps -- go to guarded apps tab, and at the bottom right, click on settings. browse to the file or folder, add it to the list, and then -- very important -- set it to "Exception (read/write)" in the "type" column.
This is for when a guarded app needs to read and write to a protected area.

Try these two methods. One of them should solve your problem, if the problem is due to Appguard.

Thread author
If i turn off all appguard protection stilus runs ok but how can i make exception?

I cannot tell you how to make an exception if I cannot clearly identify that AppGuard is blocking Stilus.

Would you please point me to Stilus product online ?

Is Civitas now working ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Thread author
@Aktiffiso

I have not heard from you.

I can only assume that you are not using AppGuard any longer because it causes the Stilus plugin to fail. Based upon my experience with users, if something can't be fixed yesterday, they will drop a software.

Whatever the case might be, I have submitted a formal bug report that AppGuard causes the Stilus Word Plugin to Fail in Word to development.

I downloaded Stilus and installed it to Microsoft Office365 Enterprise E3 on Windows 10 x64. I made video of AppGuard blocking Stilus from loading into WinWord during WinWord launch. I got image of block event message at Word start.

FrankN209

Level 1
Verified
May 30, 2016
I have all the programs that I can think of guarded in AppGuard. Any other suggestions?

AppGuard 1.PNG
AppGuard 2.PNG

Thread author
I have all the programs that I can think of guarded in AppGuard. Any other suggestions?

View attachment 202811View attachment 202812

Your list is small and manageable. That is good. You also have thought-out what you would add with care. That is good too.

The programs added to Guarded Apps should be those that are known to be exploited (Microsoft Office suite, Adobe products generally - Acrobat & Reader, Air, Flash, Oracle Java and Java Runtime Environment, SilverLight, all browsers, archive utilities, PDF programs & readers, etc.)

You can research "The commonly exploited software" online. Look at different sources. It will be informative.

Guarded Rufus might mis-behave. You have to try it. If there is a problem, then you simply adjust your policy accordingly.

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.