AppGuard - General Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
@Lockdown , I always look to your guidance regarding security configuration - i.e., not only AppGuard configuration, but also products alongside of AppGuard.

In light of your Windows Firewall suggestion, can you please comment on the following, related Appguard Technology explained exchange between me and @Umbra ?

My selfish hope was that by instead migrating to a "OOTB Windows Firewall and locked-down AppGuard" implementation, I could avoid spending any time on firewall configuration (and instead use that time configuring AppGuard).

Appguard wont help against outbound connection. What if you install a FUD weaponized legit application that stealthily call home when it shoudn't? it will install on C , so Appguard won't block it, and then it will call home.
The situation you hope for is valid, if like me, you take time to deeply check every program you install.

but even me , i prefer controlling what is going out without relying to a 3rd party controller; even if it is more convenient.

Reactions: Tiny and SHvFl

Thread author
@Lockdown , I always look to your guidance regarding security configuration - i.e., not only AppGuard configuration, but also products alongside of AppGuard.

In light of your Windows Firewall suggestion, can you please comment on the following, related Appguard Technology explained exchange between me and @Umbra ?

@Umbra manually configures Windows Firewall rules.

Learn how to configure AppGuard first and then decide later what you want to do about the firewall. Don't try to learn and do everything all at one time.

If you want to control Windows Firewall, but don't want to manually create rules using the lousy Windows GUI for it, then look at Windows Firewall Control by BiniSoft. It costs $10 for a lifetime of unlimited installs.

meltcheesedec

Level 2
Verified
Jul 30, 2017
Learn how to configure AppGuard first and then decide later what you want to do about the firewall. Don't try to learn and do everything all at one time.

@Lockdown , I know host-based firewall pretty well; my legacy configuration included TinyWall, and I have spent countless hours administering exceptions based on apps, ports and protocols.

I migrated from my legacy configuration containing TinyWall and assorted definition-based security apps to the following "OOTB Windows Firewall and locked-down AppGuard" implementation: Meltcheesedec Security Configuration 2017. @Umbra then stated that he thought OOTB Windows Firewall may not provide sufficient protection:

Appguard wont help against outbound connection. What if you install a FUD weaponized legit application that stealthily call home when it shoudn't? it will install on C , so Appguard won't block it, and then it will call home.
The situation you hope for is valid, if like me, you take time to deeply check every program you install.

Whereas in another thread you wrote:
The base protections on my test systems:
  • AppGuard
  • uBlock Origin
  • Windows Defender
  • Windows Firewall
  • USB flash drive and DropBox for file backups
This uncomplicated set-up gives high protection. You can ask any long-time AppGuard user if the system ever got seriously infected while AppGuard protections were enabled.

Questions:
- in the "test systems" you referenced, do you configure Windows Firewall as Out of the Box/default?
- do you feel that "OOTB Windows Firewall and locked-down AppGuard" offers sufficient protection, or do you instead share the same concerns @Umbra noted in the aforementioned quote?

Reactions: SHvFl

Thread author

1. Yes. Behind NAT router no worries about inbound attacks.
2. AppGuard blocks by default so unless you manually allow something it cannot connect to the net.
3. It is sufficient. WFC is a helpful front-end GUI for outbound administration. It is mandatory if you are paranoid that some process is going to sneak onto and violate your system. If you have your wits about you, then you don't need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.