AppGuard - General Impression

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
This video proved my security orientation & claims: signatures engines are obsolete against zero-days and other FUD/encrypted malwares.

but if you don't have the skill & knowledge to use other types of security , better an AV than nothing.

I have yet to try the Appguard combo. Maybe going to pair it with EIS and remove NVT and then shall see how it goes.

Appguard should hire you, @Umbra . Maybe self-intro that Skynet is interested to join them :D

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I have yet to try the Appguard combo. Maybe going to pair it with EIS and remove NVT and then shall see how it goes.

Appguard should hire you, @Umbra . Maybe self-intro that Skynet is interested to join them :D

@CMLew

You can try simple combo like AppGuard, Sandboxie and Adguard. If you wish you can also add Windows Firewall Control, HitmanPro.Alert and Secure Folders.

Key to using AppGuard is knowing how it works and how to configure it.

You have @Umbra, myself and Wilders Security AppGuard forum to get answers.

Some programs - like Quarri MyPOQ - just will not work with AppGuard... no matter how you configure AppGuard. It is not bug, just an incompatibility. Such issues are not common.

AppGuard is best for static day-to-day system (not constant install\uninstall of softs, malware test system, etc).

Keep that in mind.

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
@CMLew

You can try simple combo like AppGuard, Sandboxie and Adguard. If you wish you can also add Windows Firewall Control, HitmanPro.Alert and Secure Folders.

Some programs - like Quarri MyPOQ - just will not work with AppGuard... no matter how you configure AppGuard. It is not bug, just an incompatibility. Such issues are not common.

AppGuard is best for static day-to-day system (not constant install\uninstall of softs, malware test system, etc).

Keep that in mind.

Thanks @hjlbx .
Will definitely try Appguard on my new laptop. Meanwhile I'm still struggling how to uninstall the Shades Sandbox. No uninstaller, no guide, no helpfile, hence no idea how to remove. :S

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 55474
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
@CMLew

quite my setup :D

yep, once used to it, it is quite simple.

indeed

Thanks @hjlbx .
Will definitely try Appguard on my new laptop. Meanwhile I'm still struggling how to uninstall the Shades Sandbox. No uninstaller, no guide, no helpfile, hence no idea how to remove. :S

control panel > add/remove program?

Clean install OS... :D

lol the best way :p

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I just saw @CMLew talking about their licensing model. So if you buy Appguard 4 today and Appguard 5 comes out tomorrow you have to buy it again?! Argh. If they are switching to a yearly license when 5.0 comes out, why not just switch now and start selling yearly licenses for version 4 that carry over?

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
I just saw @CMLew talking about their licensing model. So if you buy Appguard 4 today and Appguard 5 comes out tomorrow you have to buy it again?! Argh. If they are switching to a yearly license when 5.0 comes out, why not just switch now and start selling yearly licenses for version 4 that carry over?

Appguard v5 will not arrive until years lol

took ages from 4.1 to 4.2 :p

and 4.3 will arrive next week after months of waiting ^^

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015

My last email correspondence with them is that Appguard 5 would not be that fast. They say expecting around 2016 (don't know which month). It will be a new licensing model where it would be likely an annual license subscription.

In any case, Appguard 4 is still very good to use. I bought 3 user license @ 40% OFF just last week.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Is that the normal discount for a 3 pack or did I miss a sale? Just seeing the nromal $29.95 normal US price on their site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in your profile posts after some digging - so yeah, they give 40% if you buy a minimum of 3 licenses. Hmm...

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
Is that the normal discount for a 3 pack or did I miss a sale? Just seeing the nromal $29.95 normal US price on their site.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it in your profile posts after some digging - so yeah, they give 40% if you buy a minimum of 3 licenses. Hmm...

Email to BRN support and request for discounted price.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

I'm think of having AppGuard on my system after watching the AppGuard vs VoodooShield video. I have the free version of VS on my system now.

Question

1) Is there a way to export all the settings (like a config file) so that upon next installation (after a clean OS or after removing AppGuard) I can import back without the need to go into AppGuard to set them again?

Just went to its website but it says AppGuard Personal is not available for sale now. A new version coming out soon?

Thanks

Last edited:

Thread author
Questions

1) Is there any fast way of disabling AppGuard like a button to toggle on/off all its protection?

Yes.

AppGuard tray icon > right-click > Protection Level > select option: Off, Allow Installs, Protected, Locked Down

2) Is there a way to export all the settings (like a config file) so that upon next installation (after a clean OS or after removing AppGuard) I can import back without the need to go into AppGuard to set them again?

Currently, there is no Export\Import of the settings\configuration file. It is a requested feature that is on the "To Do" list.

However, you can save a back-up of the AppGuard settings\configuration xml (appguardpolicy.xml) that is located in:

c:\users\user\appdata\roaming\blue ridge networks\appguard\appguardpolicy.xml

You can drop the back-up appguardpolicy.xml into the above directory so as to save yourself a lot of configuration time.

Before doing so, you must disable TamperGuard:

AppGuard tray icon > double-click > AppGuard GUI Customize > Advanced > tick Stop Self Protection (TamperGuard) > Apply > OK

After dropping the appguardpolicy.xml into the above directory, do not forget to re-enable Self Protection.

NOTE: There is currently no support for the above when using AppGuard in a Standard User Account (SUA); each time you clean install AppGuard and enable the Standard User Account, you must manually configure AppGuard.

AppGuard configuration works this way because it does not apply the same policy for all users; each user can create their own independent customized configuration. We are thinking about an all user installation whereby the same policy will be applied to all users. Doing it this way would more accurately reflect the way that users actually configure AppGuard - which is the user typically creates the same configuration in all the user profiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.