Appguard Review

• Thread starter Deleted member 178
  • Start date

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Device Guard is only available on Education\Enterprise versions of Windows.

The articles on TechNet and MSDN do a dis-service when they do not explicitly state at the top of the page - "Windows 10 Education\Enterprise only" instead of just "Windows 10."

All the most advanced features in Group Policy, Windows Defender, Application Control, etc - are always only available on Education\Enterprise versions of Windows - and those advanced features never get filtered-down to Pro or Home versions. They remain only available on Education\Enterprise so that Microsoft can justify the huge cost of the Education\Enterprise licenses.

In fact, some of the advanced features - like Windows Defender APT - are not even included in the base Education\Enterprise license, but must instead be purchased separately as an add-on. Some are one-time fees and others are annual subscription add-ons.

Luckily I am running Enterprise so I can run DG but I still think its very finicky to use and awkward to maintain.

Do you work for AppGuard because I was wondering how long it takes for Blue Ridge to respond to emails since I sent one yesterday.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

Thread author
Do you work for AppGuard because I was wondering how long it takes for Blue Ridge to respond to emails since I sent one yesterday.

I do not know what the email turnaround is these days since customer support is handled by Operations. I work in the Engineering division.

What is it that you want to know ? - perhaps I can answer your question(s).

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
I do not know what the email turnaround is these days since customer support is handled by Operations. I work in the Engineering division.

What is it that you want to know ? - perhaps I can answer your question(s).

Sorry for late reply. Ransomeware/WannaCry has kept me distracted all week.

I did get a reply for Blue Ridge. No chance of getting a demo to trial your product which is really annoying.

Anyways, I'm hoping you can convince me :))) why I should use AppGuard instead of or with AppLocker? Someone mentioned in a post that I could dump AppLocker and use AppGuard exclusively which got me thinking...

Thoughts?

Reactions: Andy Ful

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Thoughts?
Yes.

I'll not try to convince you about the technical aspect. That's already covered by many here. It's just I don't understand what's the big deal if you buy a 1-year license. It only costs $29.95 dollars. I've spent much more in one visit to the grocery store.

ParaXY

Level 6
Verified
Mar 14, 2017
Yes.

I'll not try to convince you about the technical aspect. That's already covered by many here. It's just I don't understand what's the big deal if you buy a 1-year license. It only costs $29.95 dollars. I've spent much more in one visit to the grocery store.

It's not about money. It's about having the right combination of tools on my machine to keep it secure (and practical). I'm happy with AppLocker and it has been running well so far but I'm wondering if I need to use or should use AppGuard.

Trying to keep things simple and practical :cool:

Mr.X

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Aug 2, 2014
Then you don't need anyone to convince you. It's you the one to convince yourself. All is said and done. ;)
Fwiw, I have it, use it, and like it. It works fine with my setup and surely @Lockdown @Umbra or anyone can help out with your own.

Reactions: worldless

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014

I did get a reply for Blue Ridge. No chance of getting a demo to trial your product which is really annoying.

Anyways, I'm hoping you can convince me :))) why I should use AppGuard instead of or with AppLocker? Someone mentioned in a post that I could dump AppLocker and use AppGuard exclusively which got me thinking...

Thoughts?
Like I said, you can have a trial, without any fuss for 30 days, of AppGuard using the 4th version. I think it's still available to download. I just don't have the link.

Currently, there's no difference between the 4th version and the 5th version, except about licensing.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017

Thread author

If AppLocker and GPO are properly configured, then WannaCry should not even be a blip on your radar.

There are no demos or trials of the AppGuard Consumer (Personal & Business) product line.

AppGuard is an Enterprise-grade product that is made available to the general public; AppGuard uses an Enterprise sales model = no trials for home users.

why I should use AppGuard instead of or with AppLocker?
  • Less configuration required
  • More comprehensive default policies
  • Additional protections
  • File vaults

Last edited by a moderator:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If AppLocker and GPO are properly configured, then WannaCry should not even be a blip on your radar.

There are no demos or trials of the AppGuard Consumer (Personal & Business) product line.

AppGuard is an Enterprise-grade product that is made available to the general public; AppGuard uses an Enterprise sales model = no trials for home users.

• Less configuration required
  • More comprehensive default policies
  • Additional protections
  • File vaults
If I were to buy AppGuard to replace SecureAPlus as my default-deny solution would there be much configuration required or can I just throw it straight into Protected/Locked Down mode after install and be fully protected? (I've never used AppGuard before so I don't know the inner workings of the software or its ease of use.)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
If I were to buy AppGuard to replace SecureAPlus as my default-deny solution would there be much configuration required or can I just throw it straight into Protected/Locked Down mode after install and be fully protected? (I've never used AppGuard before so I don't know the inner workings of the software or its ease of use.)
I think the only problem is the extra work when you want to install something. You just have to toggle it though.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah
D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
Lockdown Mode right away, i started from there when i used it for the fist time, then i tailored AG to my needs.

Thread author
I think the only problem is the extra work when you want to install something. You just have to toggle it though.

If one is using AppGuard, then they should not be installing new softs all the time.

Anyhow, it is very simple to install new softs - just lower protection to Allow Installs.

If one is a user that "wants to use stuff," and is constantly changing their system, then AppGuard is probably not for them. The product is meant to lock the system - and a user constantly changing the system willy-nilly isn't keeping the system locked.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.