Advice Request AppGuard v5.2.9.1?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
You can check in the AppGuard threads here for your answer. You may also wish to post over @ Wilders, as there may be more AppGuard users there. I'm pretty sure Version 4 should not be relied on.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@FrankN209 AppGuard v5.2.9.1 is technically Appguard v4 with only the licensed model change. In terms of protection all version are reliable, Appguard Solo is best suited for Windows 10, although I'm still using v4 on my laptop/desktop win10/win7

I have no experience with AG, but FWIW this is from an experienced AG user:

"if my memory is good, v5 was just v4 with a new license system and bug fixes, i won't recommend it.
Solo offers better protection and is up-to-date."

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you really understand your OS, and how to configure Appguard, the protection in the newer versions is not significantly improved for home users.
The newest version has lsass protection, which is new, but that is mainly important for a business network, it is not so important for a home environment.

But if you are not expert in your OS and in Appguard configuration, don't use v4 without getting the relevant advice from the pros. There are important configuration changes needed in order to optimize it to Windows 10 and Office 365.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If you really understand your OS, and how to configure Appguard, the protection in v5 is not significantly improved for home users.
v5 has lsass protection, which v4 does not, but that is mainly important for a business network, it is not so important for a home environment.

But if you are not expert in your OS and in Appguard configuration, don't use v4 without getting the relevant advice from the pros. There are important configuration changes needed in order to optimize it to Windows 10 and Office 365.
It's not about optimization. Some stuff will simply not work on older than 6 version and you can thank my friends at windows and office.

Duotone

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 17, 2016
Have the same dilemma before, so I asked my question to BlueRidge support last January:

Still using the old hardened.xml on my setup then just adjusting to some blocking issues.

• AppGuard 4.x is supported on Windows 10. There are no default policy additions in the GUI of AppGuard Solo.

You are able to ADD applications to the Guarded Apps tab based on your installed software and security concerns.

Any restriction or exceptions you wish to ADD to User Space are your call.

• You do not need to ADD Lsass.exe. That is already part of the protection and is not a configurable option.

• SOLO supports Microsoft secure boot. Version 4.x doesn’t. But the key protections are supported on Win10.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.