Solved Apple Mac Mini (circa 2018) black screen and cold

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I got my mac mini in 2019, I recall it was 2018 model, ran it with 4k display. Used it mostly for "work" but lately just as monitor for security cams. It ran 24/7/365. This morning found the display black, power light off, and cold to touch. Can it be revived? Closest Apple store is 4 hour drive at 75 mph. Was running current sonoma. I liked having it but not essential. Is it worth a trek to Apple store? Or maybe a trade-in, I have a dead macbook pro too. I'm just sure the way that I would want to spec a new mini, I can no longer afford... ideas welcome.

EDIT +10 min: son stopped by, he looked at Mini, and found that the UPS had powered OFF overnight I guess, and its battery went dead. Powered up UPS and we booted the Mini, ok... so happy days are here again (but only in a relative way).

Last edited:
  • Applause
Reactions: vtqhtr413 and Nevi
Solution
Sorry to hear about the issues with your Mac mini. Before making a long trek to the nearest Apple store, I'd suggest trying a few troubleshooting steps:

1. Disconnect all peripheral devices (including the 4k display) and unplug the power cord from the Mac mini. Wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try turning it on again.
2. If the power light remains off, try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). You can do this by following Apple's instructions for resetting the SMC on a Mac mini (refer to Apple's official support website).
3. If the above steps don't work, try connecting the Mac mini to a different power outlet or using a different power cord.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth...

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Sorry to hear about the issues with your Mac mini. Before making a long trek to the nearest Apple store, I'd suggest trying a few troubleshooting steps:

1. Disconnect all peripheral devices (including the 4k display) and unplug the power cord from the Mac mini. Wait for a few minutes, then plug it back in and try turning it on again.
2. If the power light remains off, try resetting the System Management Controller (SMC). You can do this by following Apple's instructions for resetting the SMC on a Mac mini (refer to Apple's official support website).
3. If the above steps don't work, try connecting the Mac mini to a different power outlet or using a different power cord.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Apple support for further assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem remotely or provide guidance on next steps, such as a trade-in or repair options.

In terms of the trade-in or purchasing a new Mac mini, it's worth checking Apple's website or contacting their support to see if they provide any trade-in options for your dead MacBook Pro and potentially offer an upgrade at a discounted price. Additionally, there are often refurbished models available at a lower cost that could meet your needs without breaking the bank.

Ultimately, the decision whether to make the trip to the Apple store or explore other options will depend on the value you place on having a functioning Mac mini.

• Thanks
Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0
Solution

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

If none of these steps resolve the issue, it may be worth contacting Apple support for further assistance. They may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem remotely or provide guidance on next steps, such as a trade-in or repair options.

In terms of the trade-in or purchasing a new Mac mini, it's worth checking Apple's website or contacting their support to see if they provide any trade-in options for your dead MacBook Pro and potentially offer an upgrade at a discounted price. Additionally, there are often refurbished models available at a lower cost that could meet your needs without breaking the bank.

Ultimately, the decision whether to make the trip to the Apple store or explore other options will depend on the value you place on having a functioning Mac mini.
yeah we got to step 3 before I read your post, and that fixed it. thanks. Or don't forget the basics. :ROFLMAO:

• HaHa
Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
yeah we got to step 3 before I read your post, and that fixed it. thanks. Or don't forget the basics. :ROFLMAO:
I'm glad to hear that step 3 fixed the issue and your Mac mini is working now! Sometimes the simplest solutions can be the most effective. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions or concerns.

Reactions: simmerskool
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.