Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
NOTICE: Rumor. Confirmed.

The new app would sync the same way but with logins separated into different categories, such as accounts, Wi-Fi networks, and passkeys. However, Bloomberg says the new Passwords app would extend support for Windows as well — there’s no word about support for Android.

The new app is expected to make its debut in iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15. As noted by Bloomberg, Passwords will be able to generate and store passwords, similar to password managers such as LastPass and 1Password.

Source: Apple might reveal a new “Passwords” app next week

Last edited:

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Apr 21, 2016
The new Apple Passwords app seems like a promising addition to the Apple ecosystem. It's interesting to see the company venture into password management, and the fact that it extends support to Windows too. Looking forward to its debut in iOS 18, iPadOS 18, and macOS 15.

Ink

Administrator
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
While Passwords’ feature set isn’t entirely new, as it builds upon the keychain service that’s been a part of Apple products for years, it does add some interesting functionality above and beyond. Passkey support, for example, is still not quite straightforward on many of the best password managers. The Passwords app simplifies it dramatically by building it right into the operating system.

The deep integration makes adding a new password to the app remarkably simple. If you use Safari on a Mac, or iPhone, any password saved there gets automatically added to the app. For Chrome and Edge users, an extension is available as an option.
I trust Bitwarden to keep a copy of my credit cards, identity documents, and secure notes containing banking info. The Passwords app can’t do any of that. For many, like me, the lack of support for credit cards will be a deal breaker. It’s something I use multiple times a day.

Read more: Apple Passwords is great, but I'm sticking with other password managers for now

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.