Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
When you open Apple's Business website in Mozilla Firefox, you are greeted by a "your browser is not supported" prompt. The message is displayed for all recent versions of Firefox, including Firefox Stable, Firefox ESR and Firefox Nightly.

Apple states that it recommends Safari, Microsoft Edge or Chrome to access the Business site, but most Chromium-based browsers work. The business login is displayed when you open the site in Brave or Opera, and of course the three mentioned web browsers that Apple recommends.

Apple does not reveal why Firefox is not supported. Is it a technical limitation that is preventing Firefox from being supported by Apple's Business site? While possible, there is also the possibility that Apple blocks any browser that is not Webkit (its own) or Chromium-based.

Some organizations recommend certain web browsers. Besides Microsoft and Google, which push their browsers on their properties heavily, it is organizations such as Bank of America and other financial institutions that recommend certain web browsers. Sometimes, these recommendations are based on tests or the lack thereof.

If companies have a limited test budget, they will spend it on widely used browsers and applications first. Most of the time, non-recommended browsers may be used, provided that they support the technologies that the sites use.

Firefox users may skip the blocking of their web browser on Apple's Business site by changing the user agent of the browser. The user agent is often used as an identifier, as it may reveal the name and version of the browser, as well as other information.

When you change the Firefox user agent to that of Chrome, Apple's Business site loads the login prompt, asking to sign-in to the site.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Firefox's market share is already eroding, bit by bit. It's at a little over 3% now. Edge's margin is still slim but it's definitely ahead of Firefox. This is the source I used.

I mean, is this the coup de grace or something? It's bound to turn off at least some users.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
I completely agree @Trooper. I still use it as my main/sole browser, since I just edited the profile over the years to exactly how I want whenever I (re)install it. I'll most likely keep using it, till it either dies, or all websites moved over to "Google web standards", since developers are becoming more lazy to implement the actual web standards, making Firefox unusable... I'd still find it a shame, that Mozilla stopped competing in the engine compartment... at this rate there is only one survivor left and no competition. (not that they were competing anyway in the last 5 years...)

(I dont notice any performance differences between Firefox and MS Edge on my machine.)

However, I don't understand why apple would allow such an action... Its like stabbing a person in the hospital, during his treatment in the ER.

Reactions: Trooper

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Not sure what the fuzz is about. :unsure:

Is there someone at Ghacks that can't find the basic requirement for that specific Apple service? Took myself less then 30 seconds. Read and click, works! :rolleyes:

2022-07-10-20-02-17.jpg

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Not sure what the fuzz is about. :unsure:

Is there someone at Ghacks that can't find the basic requirement for that specific Apple service? Took myself less then 30 seconds. Read and click, works! :rolleyes:

2022-07-10-20-02-17.jpg

Well, Firefox does not work lol.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Well, Firefox does not work lol.
Yeah sort of funny, but it's too obvious that the author ignored the truth or is very incompetent. Probably both.

Also recommend install more extensions when it's not even needed, good luck with that in a real business/enterprise environment.

Trooper

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 28, 2015
Yeah sort of funny, but it's too obvious that the author ignored the truth or is very incompetent. Probably both.

Also recommend install more extensions when it's not even needed, good luck with that in a real business/enterprise environment.

Agree with you on both points. Ghacks is not what it used to be imho.

As for business/enterprise, definitely not happening at all.

Reactions: rain2reign

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Well, I have the latest one installed :ROFLMAO:
Schermafbeelding 2022-07-10 om 22.26.44.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.