Application component considered a virus

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Hi guys,

This might be a bit an atypical question. I'm asking on behalf of my father who works in IT.

He works in a small company which develops a softphone application for businesses. The issue is that since the last update McAfee (which is installed in one of their customer's computer systems) has marked a component of their application as malware and thus the application can't be run on their systems anymore.
Just adding in that no component of their software is malicious and according to my dad that component being marked as malware is a mistake by McAfee (apparently it is known that this error can occur) as it has only shown up on tests on McAfee but not on other security programs (IIRC the test involved around 55 different applications).

After getting notified of this my father filed a complaint towards McAfee to have that component removed from the list of malicious components but the reply he got was that it would take 4-6 weeks until they start looking into it!...

As I know there are quite some people here who work in this field and even more who just have great knowledge and experience in general I wanted to ask you if you know of any way to get a quicker solution from McAfee (where do you have to press the nerve) or generally if you have some advice regarding such a situation.

Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for your replies

T3chnopsycho

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Steps:

1) For the meantime put from the exclusion list as its not yet investigated by McAfee.
2) But if still persist, then likely you need to turn out some alternatives antivirus. Cause for sure they can entertain again any case of accident false positives.

That's the always happened solution everytime.

D

Deleted member 178

Exclusions is the first thing to do. Honestly 6 weeks is ... (to be polite), change to another one, anyway McAffee is not a topnotch AV (even its creator quit :D )

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Sorry for not replying anymore (had a lot of things going on).

Unfortunately changing isn't an option (you know bigger companies and change).

Steps:

1) For the meantime put from the exclusion list as its not yet investigated by McAfee.

Exclusions is the first thing to do.

What do you mean with exclusion?

Thanks for the replies :)

Cheers

T3chnopsycho

trhd03twth

Level 1
Verified
Aug 29, 2015
Temporary solution for this is marking files of the software of your dad's company as excluded (this means McAfee will ignore these files though it flagged them as malicious).
I've never tried McAfee, just googled and here is what I found (for McAfee VirusScan 8.7i for Windows)
  1. Go to Start > All Programs > McAfee > Vi
  2. Select On-Access Scanner
  3. Go to Task > Properties > All Processes > Detection
  4. Click Exclusions
  5. Click Add
  6. Click Browse, and navigate to the directory you want to exclude.
    (Alternatively, type in the directory's full path)
  7. Click OK
  8. Click on the red X box to close the Set Exclusions window
  9. Click OK
Hope it helps. ;)

Reactions: T3chnopsycho

T3chnopsycho

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2015
Temporary solution for this is marking files of the software of your dad's company as excluded (this means McAfee will ignore these files though it flagged them as malicious).
I've never tried McAfee, just googled and here is what I found (for McAfee VirusScan 8.7i for Windows)
  1. Go to Start > All Programs > McAfee > Vi
  2. Select On-Access Scanner
  3. Go to Task > Properties > All Processes > Detection
  4. Click Exclusions
  5. Click Add
  6. Click Browse, and navigate to the directory you want to exclude.
    (Alternatively, type in the directory's full path)
  7. Click OK
  8. Click on the red X box to close the Set Exclusions window
  9. Click OK
Hope it helps. ;)

I'll pass it on :) Thanks for the help!

T3chnopsycho

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.