Are DSLR Cameras now the next target of ransomware?

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Ransomware has become a major threat to computer systems in recent years, as high-profile attacks have locked users out of personal computers, hospitals, city governments, and even The Weather Channel. Now, security researchers have discovered that another device that might be at risk: a DSLR camera.
Check Point Software Technologies issued a report today that detailed how its security researchers were able to remotely install malware on a digital DSLR camera. In it, researcher Eyal Itkin found that a hacker can easily plant malware on a digital camera.

Looks like it is time to make security software for cameras too after this finding.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
Somewhat worrying but I suppose not surprising - I try to avoid 'smart anything yet have ended up with 4 smart TV's, a plethora of phones & tablets/Printer/ Fire-Sticks + recently a growing SONOS music playing system not forgetting my camera - Not counting PC's. Not doing very well in avoiding so called smart devices am I?

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm waiting ransomware for pacemaker :^)
Wonder how the ransome note would look like. :D

Pacemaker vulnerabilities, is actually not something new.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.