Advice Request Are my chrome extensions safe?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have a few chrome extensions that I have been using and trusting for a long time.
Now I am wondering whether they might be harvesting login credentials or other sensitive info, or perhaps they are being exploited by third party actors for that purpose.

For instance, I have an extension called Disable HTML5 Autoplay
It has permissions like this: read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
The dev seems to have a respectable presence on Github, but how do I know whether he uses the right security measures?

I have another extension, for Gmail, called Gmelius
It has similar permissions, but limited to certain google domains.

I don't really care if someone finds out what I am planning on buying my wife for her birthday, but I don't want them to finance their own purchases from my banking account...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I have a few chrome extensions that I have been using and trusting for a long time.
Now I am wondering whether they might be harvesting login credentials or other sensitive info, or perhaps they are being exploited by third party actors for that purpose.

For instance, I have an extension called Disable HTML5 Autoplay
It has permissions like this: read and change all your data on the websites you visit.
The dev seems to have a respectable presence on Github, but how do I know whether he uses the right security measures?

I have another extension, for Gmail, called Gmelius
It has similar permissions, but limited to certain google domains.

I don't really care if someone finds out what I am planning on buying my wife for her birthday, but I don't want them to finance their own purchases from my banking account...
I think with HTML5 autoplay disabler, those permissions are reasonable because it has to read the contents in the websites and disable html5 videos
I suggest if you wanna check if the extensions are relatively safe or not, you can scan the crx files with herdProtect or reasoncore because their engine can detect bad google chrome extensions. if there is detection, we should avoid them but if no detection, we should also be careful ;)

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This can't be answered difinitively shmu26
Lets say you do your homework and the Dev's all check out
and you feel good trusting them, who's to say later they don't
get paid or motivated to change sides ?
It's a game of hit and miss, I would say just be careful with the
lesser known publishers and decide weather it's a Plug in or add on
that you "want" or "need"
Remember they can be exploited by 3rd parties as well, so answering this
with any certainty is not possiable

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I think with HTML5 autoplay disabler, those permissions are reasonable because it has to read the contents in the websites and disable html5 videos
I suggest if you wanna check if the extensions are relatively safe or not, you can scan the ocx files with herdProtect or reasoncore because their engine can detect bad google chrome extensions. if there is detection, we should avoid em but if no detection, we should also be careful ;)
how do I find the ocx files?
I have use zemana and hitmanpro scanners, and they didn't flag my extensions, if that means anything.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
This can't be answered difinitively SHvFI
Lets say you do your homework and the Dev's all check out
and you feel good trusting them, who's to say later they don't
get paid or motivated to change sides ?
It's a game of hit and miss, I would say just be careful with the
lesser known publishers and decide weather it's a Plug in or add on
that you "want" or "need"
Remember they can be exploited by 3rd parties as well, so answering this
with any certainty is not possiable
It's not me :p

On topic if you don't trust something @shmu26 don't install it. If you trust it install and relax. We can't have 100% guarantee on anything in life.

Also gmail apps should use oauth. If they need you to login don't.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
truth is, even some of our favorite extensions, like ublock origin, have the same kind of super permissions. But we have placed our trust in their hands because we need them.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
truth is, even some of our favorite extensions, like ublock origin, have the same kind of super permissions. But we have placed our trust in their hands because we need them.
Yeah we need to trust them at some degree. Not much you can do it's not like you can inspect the code. It's like trusting any other application you use and those have way more permissions and ability to track you.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Yeah we need to trust them at some degree. Not much you can do it's not like you can inspect the code. It's like trusting any other application you use and those have way more permissions and ability to track you.
I have a little app on my PC called gmail notifier pro. I always wondered whether that is secure or not.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I have a little app on my PC called gmail notifier pro. I always wondered whether that is secure or not.
Never used it but i don't see the point in using it either. If you want it for notification gmail can already do that with Chrome even when it's closed. If you want it as desktop email client get a proper one.

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Never used it but i don't see the point in using it either. If you want it for notification gmail can already do that with Chrome even when it's closed. If you want it as desktop email client get a proper one.
I have always found the gmail chrome notifications on desktop to be extremely erratic and unreliable. I could never figure out why one out of four messages coming into my inbox would trigger a notification.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I have always found the gmail chrome notifications on desktop to be extremely erratic and unreliable. I could never figure out why one out of four messages coming into my inbox would trigger a notification.
Hmm weird. I would try Checker Plus for Gmail then if i was you. It's solid.

Checker Plus for Gmail™

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Hmm weird. I would try Checker Plus for Gmail then if i was you. It's solid.

Checker Plus for Gmail™
I decided to give the built in notifications another try, and so far, so good. I noticed they added an extra link to click on, when you enable the notifications. Maybe that solved my prob...

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Shmu- Sadly it's hard to say if your browser extensions are good or malicious. Totally aside from those creating malicious extensions from inception (fairly easy to do with either BeEF or Ravan), a developer may sell a formerly non-malicious extension to some third party, and the new owners can re-code the extension into something nasty while still using the valid credentials from the original coder.

This year in Cisco's Annual Security Report they highlighted the browser extension issue, a taste of what they said here:

"Across the 45 companies in our sample, we determined that in every month we observed more than 85 percent of organizations were affected by malicious browser extensions—a finding that underscores the massive scale of these operations. Because infected browsers are often considered a relatively minor threat, they can go undetected or unresolved for days or even longer—giving adversaries more time and opportunity to carry out their campaigns."

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.