Are on-demand scanners becoming obsolete?

On-demand Malware Scanning software are

• Total voters

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
As the title describes, are previously known on-demand scanners becoming obsolete as they are bought and integrated into other real-time protection software?

Vote and comment below.
I think scanners like HMP are gong to fare just fine as long as they remain "standalone"
and don't require the purchase of a full AV or suite.
Integrating them is the mistake, as they are integrated they become no longer a "standalone"
On demand scanners in general are in high demand as folks are navigating away from the big AV suite
solutions. I don't think they are at risk of becoming "obsolete" so much as they are going to be hard to find as
they are snatched up by AV companies. If you think about it, it is in the interest of the Big AV companies to make
On demand scanners hard to find. But "obsolete" no not at all.
Cool topic Spawn, Thanks

Last edited:

marzametal

Level 7
Verified
Jun 10, 2014
There will always be a reason to require on-demand scanners, as opposed to real-time protection software. The reason being, everyone is unique in their system/internet usage. The only two conditions (just my opinion) determining the longevity of on-demand scanners is if the companies that produce both OD and RT software... out of nowhere decide to halt proceedings on OD and focus solely on RT. The other condition depends on people who like to create protection software themselves and handball it around the internet for free download...

It all comes down to where you surf to and how you like to run your rig.

I was recently plagued with a craving to try out HMP.A, felt I needed it... turns out I didn't want it at all. Various posts on this app served as eye-candy to me, so I jumped on it like Augustus Gloop with an all-you-can-eat lifetime pass at a Cadbury factory. My internet usage doesn't require such a thing to be installed on my system, so I eventually got over it after a 24hr mourning period... lol

So yeah... :)

K

KGBagent47

I rely on Kaspersky for the serious stuff and Malwarebytes (free) to ensure there are no PUPs. I personally consider it an essential windows application and update the signatures regularly.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.