Are on-demand scanners becoming obsolete?

On-demand Malware Scanning software are

• Total voters

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I chose 2nd option, because nowadays people tend to be secure by the browsers itself, by adding extensions, so when this first layer is breached only then the Realtime AV/AM comes into force. And if the Realtime AV/AM fails people tend to believe its legitimate. But people who are cautious, use there 2nd opinion scanner and get the results. But fairly the Realtime AV/AM does its job in most cases where there would be no requirement of a 2nd opinion scanner.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
My first laptop I bought in 2004 and since that time I have never used any on demand malware scanner. Only in November last year I installed Hitman Pro because I got 1 year license for free. So, I decided to install and check it. After first scanning Hitman removed a webmoney agent (it is e - money agent) where I stored about $200. It took me about 20 minutes to restore the access for my webmoney agent. Because it was not just to install it again but I had to restore key.file ( a small file containing information about the owner). I also needed to get a sms for activation it on my lap. So, the first experience was a little bit bad I could lose $200.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I go for 3rd option: Mandatory.

Reason: I kept EEK + ZAM (portable) on my thumbdrive. Everytime I'm using systems other than mine,running these two are a must, especially when travelling overseas. It's a procedure I've been practising.

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Only use second opinion scanners to check my computer periodically in case avast misses something and I get careless, but other than that I rarely use them unless the infection is so obvious and the real time protection is not reacting to it (most cases would just be my friend's computers)

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Mandatory to have a good one like MBAM for any situation where something unexpected may occur and for a second opinion. Anyone know of a great portable one?
MBAM or MBAR, EEK, ZAM, HitmanPro, HerdProtect, ESET Online Scanner, Norton Power Eraser, McAfee Stinger, Crystal Security also portable and can be used as on-demand scanner.

The convenience\ease-of-use factor appeals to a very wide audience. So in that respect antivirus scanners will remain relevant. Also, the greater part of the security soft industry infrastructure is built to support antivirus signature\file reputation based file detection. Those are just two major reasons the protection model will be around for years to come.

I don't think it is obsolete, but it certainly has its limitations. That's why almost all AV\internet security suite products incorporate some form of additional layers of protection. The layers are meant to work together to provide a more comprehensive system protection.

The thing to be aware of is that even if one has a multi-layered defense, there is one way or another that the system is still at-risk to compromise.

However, one should look at this last part practically. Because some arcane, extremely unlikely bypass is possible in a security configuration, doesn't mean that a user has to do something about it. In fact, it is likely nothing can be done about it and therefore it would do the ultra-paranoid types well to put it out of their minds.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
MBAM or MBAR, EEK, ZAM, HitmanPro, HerdProtect, ESET Online Scanner, Norton Power Eraser, McAfee Stinger, Crystal Security also portable and can be used as on-demand scanner.

Thankyou. I have several computers, so I will try MBAM portable and HitmanPro. Think I will make a rescue stick at some point.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I voted for the second option. They still remain useful, as no traditional antivirus can protect against or detect everything.

Also, I depend on them when cleaning malware from customer's computers.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.