Advice Request Are paid Antiviruses better than free ones?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
Always remember that no antivirus is invincible, no one detects 100% of malware, sometimes it can happen that the most award-winning AV does not detect malware detected by the latest free AV.
The user is always the first filter between the internet and the computer, against the human weakness no AV can fully help.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Always remember that no antivirus is invincible, no one detects 100% of malware, sometimes it can happen that the most award-winning AV does not detect malware detected by the latest free AV.
The user is always the first filter between the internet and the computer, against the human weakness no AV can fully help.
A good adblocker like AdGuard or uBlock Origin also helps a lot.

baddogai

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2018
I started preferring paid av after AVAST started to doing pop-ups and ads coz I would rather not deal with the pop-ups and adware bundles. Protection-wise AV like Avira and Avast and WD (although I am not a fan of it personally) offer good enough protection. I will also say that something like Kaspersky IS is totally worth the money.

Also, I somewhat still go by the adage "when the product is free the real product is YOU."

Last edited:
Reactions: Brie and Weebarra

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
With free you dont need to pay, you pay it with Datamining and No privacy.

It is the other way around, when you pay, you give the company your money PLUS your data.

To OP; if you currently use Avast free as your profile states, then if you pay for avast you won't get anything more other than more bloat, "features" that few would like to use.

If you still need a paid product you may look at the 'top' ones like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, ESET, TrendMicro...
But I personally think that avast free is still capable of providing good protection for free IF you're careful with how you click online.

"when the product is free the real product is YOU."
Can you mention ONE product, that provide free protection that collects data and other paid protection that does not?
Will this saying also apply to something like Linux?

Last edited:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
With free you dont need to pay, you pay it with Datamining and No privacy.

Yep.

I used to have a job where I worked with reps of the AV industry. More than one told me that it's an 'open secret' that 'free' is not really free.

Basically, many companies will monetize your usage one way or another.... your anonymized data -- which is spelled out by many EULAs (if you actually took the time to read it), your non-anonymized data, ads...... and mostly you get less protection and no support.

Unless things are pretty tight.... I'd pay.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I buy everything. It's a karma thing with me, I dislike freeloading. I want to support the development of what I enjoy.

Yes, I even bought Winrar.
IMG-20160113-WA0000.jpg

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Free comes in flavors:

1) Really free, full featured, and private. (rare)
2) Free because it's part of something bigger, and they don't care about their free stuff. (Fortinet, Sophos, etc.)
3) Free because it's a launchpad to their better, paid stuff. Expect to be alerted of this. (Voodooshield, Bit Defender Free, etc)...

Agree with the post except point #2: I don't know about Fortinet - but Sophos certainly qualifies as #3, except for the constant nagging. It has email support and is a good, lightweight free AV with an excellent webshield. Sophos is updated as often as their Premium version. But like Bitdefender free it is not a premium product.

baddogai

Level 1
Verified
May 16, 2018
Can you mention ONE product, that provide free protection that collects data and other paid protection that does not?
Will this saying also apply to something like Linux?
Just read the whole para and don't single out statements.

And as for Linux and OSS a lot of stuff is run by donations and in case of Ubuntu and Red Hat/Fedora you as desktop user are basically a beta-tester for their server platform. Also you may have remembered Ubuntu sending all your desktop search data to Amazon.

Last edited:

Aznhunt

Level 1
Thread author
May 20, 2018
1) Really free, full featured, and private. (rare)
4) Free because you have something they want. Usually your data and privacy. (Avast/AVG, almost everything Chinese)
#1 Can you give some examples of "Really free, full featured, and private." without the apps collecting personal data like "Microsoft" that makes it so obvious sometimes.. or is there non? :unsure:
#4 Uhh... i have Avast Free right now.. so is that bad?

wdhaven

Jul 10, 2018
You already have the best free virus protection on your computer, and this is Windows 10, but you just need to set or configure it better. ConfigureDefender and Hard_Configurator are two free programs that can harden your Windows. No cloud detection can reach Microsoft's (SmartScreen). Basically, you can't say that more expensive is better. Anti-virus software that can be purchased only causes scandals. Last time Avast caused bluescreens during the update. Defender would never do that, because it is perfectly adapted to Windows and is developed by Microsoft itself. That's why I wouldn't pay for an antivirus myself.
Thanks for the I

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.