Are there any free Anti-executable security solutions?

Blades

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2014
I can't really buy anything online since I do not own a credit card, and i'm looking for something to lock my system down or to just block apps from accessing my system. I guess Applock and Novirusthanks EXE radar does this right? Are there free alternatives?

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I might try it out. Is it a supplement to an AV product? Is it compatible with AV programs? Is it safe to use? Thanks!

Yes it's a good program and can add additional layer protection, NVT is one of the best among them and has good reputation. But from my point of view there is no need using such programs, we can achieve the same protection with UAC utilized. I don't see any benefits by using it for home users like us, unless your computer is being shared with anyone (your kids, parents or friends probably) otherwise it's just another waste of computer resources. However it's pretty good program especially if you own public cyber cafe/internet cafe and want to prevent any viruses infecting your computer due to customer faulty :)

I thought NVT free version already gone :eek:o_O

Last edited:

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
There is no free version of NVT ERP. 30-day trial only.

Blades

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2014
How's zemana antilogger paid by the way? I remember having a paid license stored somewhere on my PC

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
ExeWatch 1.30

ExeWatch keeps a careful eye on your hard drives and will instantly alert (beep) you every time a new executable appears in any folder,
on any fixed or removable drive. Double-click the tray icon to view the details of the latest detections, if any. A solid and lightweight
addition for the security-conscious power user.

http://dre.natverk.org/

:)

James

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I surprised nobody mentioned Windows UAC the best Anti-executable you can get because it blocks at Windows kernel level whereas with others only block at software level below the kernel. UAC also blocks many other extension types besides exe's that tries to make changes to Windows.

Of coarse now days exe's can no longer download or execute themselves, they require the user to manually do it.
That is why you should never download files from unknown sources. If you are not sure if the exe is safe first scan it with VirusTotal and then run it inside of Sandboxie to see what it does.

Anti-executable programs have become obsolete since the release of Windows Vista with UAC.
If you do research just about all of the previous Anti-executable products have been discontinued and the ones still being developed don't fully support Windows 8, when Windows 9 gets released there probably will no longer be any Anti-executable products left.

Enjoy!! :D

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
I surprised nobody mentioned Windows UAC the best Anti-executable you can get because it blocks at Windows kernel level whereas with others only block at software level below the kernel. UAC also blocks many other extension types besides exe's that tries to make changes to Windows.

UAC doesn't block all exe, only executables that need administrator permissions. I think.

Anti-exe block all.

PD: can UAC be tweaked to be more powerful?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.