Are there any free Anti-executable security solutions?

Blades

Level 1
Thread author
Jul 9, 2014
I surprised nobody mentioned Windows UAC the best Anti-executable you can get because it blocks at Windows kernel level whereas with others only block at software level below the kernel. UAC also blocks many other extension types besides exe's that tries to make changes to Windows.

Of coarse now days exe's can no longer download or execute themselves, they require the user to manually do it.
That is why you should never download files from unknown sources. If you are not sure if the exe is safe first scan it with VirusTotal and then run it inside of Sandboxie to see what it does.

Anti-executable programs have become obsolete since the release of Windows Vista with UAC.
If you do research just about all of the previous Anti-executable products have been discontinued and the ones still being developed don't fully support Windows 8, when Windows 9 gets released there probably will no longer be any Anti-executable products left.

Enjoy!! :D

Oh thanks! I already had UAC enabled. But how do I prevent autorun from USB drives?

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Yes this is a serious question can't I ask a question without you taking it as a joke?

I've not heard of spyshelter nor tried it that is why I asked..
You didn't understand. I asked if you're serious, because I couldn't imagine myself suggesting anyone unsafe software ;)

software182

Level 12
Verified
Mar 4, 2014
what about this ? is this Anti-Exe Program ?

http://www.aptshield.net/

think.gif

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
I would go for NVT free as it has really good self protection and it`s free.

Regards Eck:)

Callender

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2014
Currently I use SecureAPlus (No AV) version to detect unsigned executables.

I also use Spy The Spy but only monitor certain locations (my own choice)

http://www.mediachance.com/free/spythespy.htm

For blocking specific named executables using zero system resources I use Smart-X Application Locker.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/Application-Locker.shtml

The software doesn't need to be left running in order to work.

To run the software right click the desktop shortcut and choose "Run As Administrator".

You'll be presented with a screen that shows pre-configured apps that can be selected for blocking by filling the checkboxes. At first glance it's not very useful but if you click the "Configure" button you can add your own apps to the list.

How Smart-X Application Locker works:

Once installed and configured it creates certain registry entries in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

For each app or executable file name that's added via the GUI a registry entry is created that launches the debugger instead of the executable - Smart-X Applocker will launch in place of the blocked executable and display a pre-configured message.

The advantage is that it uses zero system resources to block any defined executable from ever running on your system.

I use this software to cleanly install those apps where the installer comes packaged with additional toolbars or spyware by adding the executable file name for the toolbar installer to the list of blocked executables.

Note: If you actually use automated registry cleaning products then you'll need to add the registry entries that are created by Smart-X Application blocker to be excluded from the cleaning process.

Last edited:

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
Are "whitelisting anti-viruses" the same thing as anti-executables?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Are "whitelisting anti-viruses" the same thing as anti-executables?

Technically they have same functions, whitelisting and blacklisting are primarily techniques from where besides of automated response, there's a user interaction to apply those alerts and already affect for next time attempts to execute.

Reactions: Rahadian Putra

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.