Are these Android antivirus apps (Security Master, Virus Cleaner) unsafe?

Logical0z

Thread author
Oct 9, 2018
So, according to vpnpros websites reserach - most well known antiviruses (free ones) clean master, 360 security and so on, are not that safe as they claim to be :O whaaat? even forbes have article about it.
Main Research
Forbes Article
Security Master, Virus Cleaner, Antivirus, Cleaner (MAX Security), and Clean Master are three free antivirus apps you can find on Google Play. But that’s not the only thing they have in common: these apps are also amazingly popular and potentially dangerous.

That’s because they’re asking users to give them a lot of dangerous permissions that they don’t seem to need. Permissions like knowing where you are at all times, being able to use your camera, and even using your phone without your knowledge.

These apps have been downloaded more than 2 billion times by users all around the world, users putting themselves and all the precious data on their phones at risk. For example, by giving Virus Cleaner permission to upload files to your system, you could be allowing it to add more malware to your device [pdf] that you’ll have to pay to remove. Security Master and Clean Master will launch apps automatically if you give them the right permissions.

What do you think guys? Is it a real threat?

Last edited by a moderator:

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I don't use any of the apps but most users who are click here click there click anywhere give permissions for none security apps that are certainly not needed each & everyday. Most don't even look, & then I hear the words 'my Facebook was hacked' - Usually by their own behavior though, most AV solutions know an awful lot about you - if all apps were investigated the results would be interesting.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Cheetah, I get a very sour taste from just hearing about. Previous fell for them because of av-test.org results and tested on a tablet but, uninstalled as the crap almost bricked the device. I'm more then happy and especially today, as I never tested there software on my phone but instead went with a serious and good vendor/company.

The reports that still keep coming in even this year 2019, should be more then enough warning signs but, sadly most of us know it ain't.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.