Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Interesting read!

We often say, “HTTPS is secure,” or “HTTP is not secure.” But what we mean is that “HTTPS is hard to snoop and makes man-in-the-middle attacks difficult” or “my grandmother has no trouble snooping HTTP.”

Nevertheless, HTTPS has been hacked, and under some circumstances, HTTP is secure enough. Furthermore, if I discover an exploitable defect in a common implementation supporting HTTPS (think OpenSSL and Heartbleed), HTTPS can become a hacking gateway until the implementation is corrected.

HTTP and HTTPS are protocols defined in IETF RFCs 7230-7237 and 2828. HTTPS was designed as a secure HTTP, but saying HTTPS is secure and HTTP is not still hides important exceptions.

Virtual machines (VMs) and containers are less rigorously defined, and neither was intentionally designed to be more secure than the other. Therefore, the security issues are still murkier.

More

lab34

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Mar 28, 2017
Hello,
I don't understand, when he talks about container vs VM, what kind of container it is.

Is it a container like in Commodo Firewall (self containment), or is it a container like Docker ?

Does he talks about a client or a server ?

I know we can run Firefox in a Docker container for example: Running GUI apps with Docker

But maybe the purpose of the article is completely different: security of web servers

(it's sunday morning, maybe I'm still sleeping...)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.