McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Neowin said:
It's that time of the week again, the glorious and much loved weekend, and that means that we have a weekend poll for everyone. This weekend we're asking whether you are running a 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows as your main installation; despite the benefits of 64-bit Windows such as increased RAM allowance and performance improvements for 64-bit-specific applications, we suspect that a number of people here still use the 32-bit version of Windows.

Sources.

I would normally use a 64 bit operations system but currently need to get a motherboard for my desktop that runs Windows 7 64 bit.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Both of my desktop and my mom's netbook run in 32bit Windows, and I'm fully aware that 64-bit have more advantage when related for performance and hardware specifications.

Also that 64-bit have one of the built in security feature called "Patchguard".

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
jamescv7 said:
Also that 64-bit have one of the built in security feature called "Patchguard".

Never knew anything about this "Patchguard"? What is it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Kernel Patch Protection (KPP), informally known as PatchGuard, is a feature of 64-bit (x64) editions of Microsoft Windows that prevents patching the kernel. It was first introduced in 2005 with the x64 editions of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1.[1]
"Patching the kernel" refers to unsupported modification of the central component or kernel of the Windows operating system. Such modification has never been supported by Microsoft because it can greatly reduce system security and reliability. However, though Microsoft does not recommend it, it is technically possible to patch the kernel on x86 editions of Windows. But with the x64 editions of Windows, Microsoft chose to implement technical barriers to kernel patching.

Advantages
Patching the kernel has never been supported by Microsoft because it can cause a number of negative effects.[3] Kernel Patch Protection protects against these negative effects, which include:

The Blue Screen of Death, which results from serious errors in the kernel.[11]

Reliability issues resulting from multiple programs attempting to patch the same parts of the kernel.[12]

Compromised system security.[2]

Rootkits can use kernel access to embed themselves in an operating system, becoming nearly impossible to remove.[11]

Products that rely on kernel modifications are likely to break with newer versions of Windows or updates to Windows that change the way the kernel works.[3]

Read More

One of the reason before why programs like Sandboxie before does not work well in 64 bit due to Patchguard reaction.

McLovin

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
Ahh, I see. Well in this case it's a very good thing to use a 64 bit OS. Another good reason to is that you can use 4GB of RAM and more. With a 32 bit you can't.

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
64bit is better in just about every way.

In 64bit you get multiple security features:
1) Hardware DEP
2) Much stronger ASLR
3) Patchguard
4) Mandatory Driver Signing

Hungry Man

Jul 21, 2011
You can use a 64bit CPU with a 32bit OS, it'll just be held back.

64bit address space means that you can address large files with fewer CPU cycles as well as large amounts of RAM. You also get access to double the number of registers on the CPU, which allows for some programs to run significantly faster (especially those making use of SSE instruction sets.)

Basic things like encryption/ decryption, which are used in most programs without the user realizing, can be significantly faster.

V

Vextor

64-bit is great. A lot of programs have developed on 64-bit support, so people need to start updating. Anyway, yes, and I will always be a 64-bit user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.