Advice Request Aren't Avira's processes protected?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Hello! I have recently installed Avira Antivirus Free for testing purposes! Today I terminated Avira processes using windows task manager and Avira disappeared from the task bar how come! Aren't Avira's proecesses protected against termination? Will this affect system security? Thank you in advance :)

Moi61

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2016
Just after reading your post, I tried to end task Bitdefender Security Service using the Windows Task Manager but, fortunately, to no avail. I tried to end task also Malwarebytes and, unfortunately, it was terminated. I am currently using Bitdefender Total Security 2017 ( just upgraded from Internet Security) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 3.0. I was really disappointed with Malwarebytes regarding this issue. But, anyway, I will still continue to use it.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Just after reading your post, I tried to end task Bitdefender Security Service using the Windows Task Manager but, fortunately, to no avail. I tried to end task also Malwarebytes and, unfortunately, it was terminated. I am currently using Bitdefender Total Security 2017 ( just upgraded from Internet Security) and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Premium 3.0. I was really disappointed with Malwarebytes regarding this issue. But, anyway, I will still continue to use it.

I did not like the 3rd version of Malwarebytes! I feel like it is so buggy! Now I am using Zemana Anti Malware and quite happy with its performance! Bitdefender is decent but I have stopped using it years ago due to its IDS moudle defect ( does not run on 64bit system) I am not sure if they have fixed it in recent updates.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I Think it's a bug and you should report it to Avira.
If it is a bug, then this is catastrophy! If the antivirus solution isn't able to protect itself against termination, how should we trust it to protect our systems! I am waiting for other members to reply. I believe that there are lots of members who are experienced in terms of using and tweaking Avira

Reactions: RXZ6Q

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
If it is a bug, then this is catastrophy! If the antivirus solution isn't able to protect itself against termination, how should we trust it to protect our systems! I am waiting for other members to reply. I believe that there are lots of members who are experienced in terms of using and tweaking Avira
I am user of Avira and I tried what you described on my machine and I am unable to replicate your results even after trying more powerful tools such as p Process Hacker or Comodo Kill Switch.

Reactions: Parsh

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
As a older Avira 2016 user I can say that with the 2016 version you can't terminate or disable any of the main processes of avira, only Avira GUI.
I'm not sure what version of Avira you have, but I thing that with 2017 Avira version the user are not allowed to disable avira protection using task manager.

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I am user of Avira and I tried what you described on my machine and I am unable to replicate your results even after trying more powerful tools such as p Process Hacker or Comodo Kill Switch.

As a older Avira 2016 user I can say that with the 2016 version you can't terminate or disable any of the main processes of avira, only Avira GUI.
I'm not sure what version of Avira you have, but I thing that with 2017 Avira version the user are not allowed to disable avira protection using task manager.

Thank you for your reply! I have changed UAC settings to maximum and I opened Windows task manager with Admin rights and was able to terminate Avira's processes
and Avira disappeared from System tray. P.S I protected Avira with a password!

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I suspect that Avira may still be running in the background. Try to execute EICAR and see if it will be stopped.

Yes I tested Avira using Amatso.org Avira detected EICAR even after termination! But It did not detect the cloudcar.exe even when Avira is running.

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Yes I tested Avira using Amatso.org Avira detected EICAR even after termination! But It did not detect the cloudcar.exe even when Avira is running.
Idk what cloudcar is but with admin you can terminate the gui not the antivirus itself.

Also Avira is now product of the year so no worry its the best ;)

Reactions: Pearl96

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Idk what cloudcar is but with admin you can terminate the gui not the antivirus itself.

Also Avira is now product of the year so no worry its the best ;)

I like how Avira is light on system resources! And I am planning to buy the pro version ( I got a discount 20$ 1 year for 3 pcs). Cloudcar.exe is a test file downloaded form (Amatso.org) to test if the cloud protection is enabled and effective in the antivirus solution

Reactions: Parsh

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
I like how Avira is light on system resources! And I am planning to buy the pro version ( I got a discount 20$ 1 year for 3 pcs). Cloudcar.exe is a test file downloaded form (Amatso.org) to test if the cloud protection is enabled and effective in the antivirus solution
I shouldnt worry its just a test file :)
Also nice deal! In pro version there is also a behavior blocker so you will be 100% secure :)

As its the product of the year ;)

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
I shouldnt worry its just a test file :)
Also nice deal! In pro version there is also a behavior blocker so you will be 100% secure :)

As its the product of the year ;)

Avira is listed in the site ( Amati.org ) and should be detected I am afraid the I have issues with avira's cloud or I need to tweak it not sure! But what about the behavioral blocker?

Xsjx

Level 13
Verified
Feb 21, 2017
Avira is listed in the site ( Amati.org ) and should be detected I am afraid the I have issues with avira's cloud or I need to tweak it not sure! But what about the behavioral blocker?
No no need to tweak. It isnt a real virus and possible a test for endpoint?

And yes there is a behavior blocker in Avira pro its just not listed antwhere but asking the support it is in Pro and not in free version ;)

D

Deleted member 178

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I ran Windows Task Manager as Admin! Also self protection is enabled in the settings!
Use Process Explorer or Process Hacker , and check if you can terminate the service (if any).
Terminating the GUI doesn't matter if the service is still running.

Reactions: Parsh and Pearl96

Pearl96

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Use Process Explorer or Process Hacker , and check if you can terminate the service (if any).
Terminating the GUI doesn't matter if the service is still running.
Thank you I will do as you suggested!

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
I agree, service is critical, not the GUI. Avira is BTW great product. Good detection rate + low system usage. May I ask you about how much RAM does your Avira consume to compare it to mine :)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.