Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Related points:
  • Windows Defender disabled via registry
  • VoodooShield set to Always On mode
  • VoodooAI cloud database disabled due to lack of documentation on whitelist approval process
  • SysHardener personalised settings applied
  • AppContainer Lockdown enabled in Brave
  • AdGuard for Windows blocking Spotify ads
  • AdGuard DNS used for system-wide ad blocking

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 55778

Looks good. Please keep SmartScreen for OS file reputation. Otherwise superb!

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
First of all, welcome to MalwareTips! Great to have you here.

You got a solid config there, as far as security is concerned. Nothing to change or add.

Perhaps you could consider a system imaging application. System images help to restore the exact state of your PC, as it was when you created the image - in the case of a malware infection or software malfunction. (unless you have no problem reinstalling or repairing your operating system, in the more severe cases)

So, you're good to go. Thanks for sharing your config with us. :p

Reactions: mal1

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Looks good. Please keep SmartScreen for OS file reputation. Otherwise superb!
Windows 7.
Once this PC dies or Windows 7 stops receiving security patches (whichever happens first) I'll make the switch to Windows 10. The only reason I didn't do so at the time was due to the absolutely disgraceful way Microsoft handled the Windows 10 update campaign. Refused to install it out of protest.

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Sometimes you have to look at a system backup solution from a security standpoint.
I would suggest a system backup solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

You got a solid config there, as far as security is concerned. Nothing to change or add.

Perhaps you could consider a system imaging application. System images help to restore the exact state of your PC, as it was when you created the image - in the case of a malware infection or software malfunction. (unless you have no problem reinstalling or repairing your operating system, in the more severe cases)

Good config, just add a good backup software, such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.
Took you threes' advice to heart and ordered a portable hard drive. Will create a system image once it arrives tomorrow. Thanks y'all. :D

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I'm curious: why Privacy Badger instead of uBlock Origin on Chrome?
I go back and forth on adblocking and Privacy Badger fills a nice in-between for me. It's a moral problem; I haven't got a problem with ads and I'm of the mindset that adtech companies/publishers/websites have a right to make money via ads, but I wholeheartedly disagree with the tracking and ability for ads to be a vector for malware delivery.

Unless you meant why do I use uBlock Origin on Firefox and not Chrome, that's because I use Firefox as my... uh... let's call it my private browser. I block all third party elements with uBO and selectively enable what I have to to allow the page to work. Chrome's for casual browsing and the like. Also I hold huge respect for the EFF, like the idea that PB uses an algorithm to choose elements to block and wish to watch PB hopefully grow into something truly amazing.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Sometimes you have to look at a system backup solution from a security standpoint.
I would suggest a system backup solution.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Good config, just add a good backup software, such as Macrium Reflect Free or AOMEI Backupper.

Thanks for sharing.
Took you threes' advice to heart and ordered a portable hard drive. Will create a system image once it arrives tomorrow. Thanks y'all. :D
Hard drive received, Macrium Reflect used, system image created. Thanks you three. :p

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Arequire

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
why remove CF?
Tied of constantly unblocking files used by legitimate applications having their network access blocked by the firewall.
Not bad, those are good changes, the only part that confuses me is why SAP & Panda both ?
Panda's one of three free antivirus engines that don't feature in SAP's Universal AV or Jotti's malware scan (the other two being Qihoo and Comodo). Basically allows me to have one extra engine to scan with and allows for offline protection.

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Tied of constantly unblocking background processes for legitimate applications that for whatever reason aren't fully whitelisted even though they're part of installers that are digitall

Panda's one of two free antivirus engines that don't feature in SAP's Universal AV or Jotti's malware scan (the other being Qihoo). Basically allows me to have one extra engine to scan with and allows for offline protection. (Panda's really heavy on my system so I may change it in the future.)
Thanks for taking the time to reply ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.