Not open for further replies.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Suggestions:
  • Ditch Kaspersky Security Scan for another second opinion scanner such as Zemana Antimalware and/or Norton Power Eraser (Kaspersky Security Scan doesn't allow the removal of detected threats if I remember correctly)
  • Switch Adblock Plus to uBlock Origin (It's lighter on CPU/RAM and provides better blocking by default due to added filter lists)
  • Add HTTPS Everywhere to your browser(s)
  • Consider using a password manager such as Lastpass, Dashlane, Keepass, etc. to generate and store unique passwords for each of your accounts
I'm not familiar with MyFreeAntivirus but as far as I can tell it's a rebranded version of Bitdefender. You may consider switching to Bitdefender's Free Antivirus if you so choose.

The rest of your config's solid.
Thanks for sharing.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would consider another on demand scanner(s) to replace Kaspersky Security Scan
HTTPS Everywhere & uBlock Origin in place of ABD +
Personally I prefer another backup solution than Windows.
Secure config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Arrabida Rock

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
Consider using a password manager such as Lastpass, Dashlane, Keepass, etc. to generate and store unique passwords for each of your accounts

I only have 2 online accounts!!! :(

Switch Adblock Plus to uBlock Origin (It's lighter on CPU/RAM and provides better blocking by default due to added filter lists)
Add HTTPS Everywhere to your browser(s)
HTTPS Everywhere & uBlock Origin in place of ABD +

I'll think about it.

Arrabida Rock

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Apr 2, 2016
If Sophos Team put the quarantine inside Sophos Home, i would give it a try... :rolleyes:
I think there could be a standalone version for home users and other version to manage it inside the web... :rolleyes:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
If Sophos Team put the quarantine inside Sophos Home, i would give it a try... :rolleyes:
I think there could be a standalone version for home users and other version to manage it inside the web... :rolleyes:
A Sophos representative's response to the lack of a quarantine (if you're interested in the reason why):
I know that part of the reason behind not adding a quarantine feature is because the user base. A large portion of the Sophos Home users don't have the same security or tech background like many of the Wilder's users, for example. They don't want or like to deal with quarantines. They want a solution that makes smart decisions for them. We oblige by doing just that, making sure on the engineering side that we can get false positives as close to zero as possible.

Now granted, we can't just please one side of the user group. That's why we have the "allow" or "clean" functionality for PUAs, which are a more common false positive for AVs.

It's a bit of a balancing act. In our previous Home User AV (which was just for Macs at the time), we had a quarantine feature. It's not that we can't do it (we totally can), but we have to also deal with the feedback from a lot of other users who say "don't quarantine things. Just delete them. I don't know if they're bad or not. You make the decision."

Reactions: Arrabida Rock

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Way better on the revised configuration, you are also free to install any virtualization software just in case you wanted to test something for safety purpose however the best way is to conduct on separated machine or virtual machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.