Battle As an Anti-Exe which is better - WinPatrol WAR vs VoodooShield?

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Hi

Which would you choose if use as an anti-exe? Which is the better one like less FP etc?

Both the technologies behind are different. Would someone comment on them in details? Bells and whistles come next.

Thanks

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
Voodooshield is designed primarly as an anti-exe, voodo win.

When yoy say less FP I suppose you mean to use voodo in auto-pilot so:

My last attempt using winpatrol WAR was problematic (Feb 2017) so much FP and blocks speccially using ninite and some soft that I use to work it blocked some of my portable apps...

Voodooshield also has FP but more easy to handle and thanks to blacklist (Virus Total), with WinPatrol I had to whitelist the app on main menu and run again the blocked software, (the last update includes a new menu blocking temporaly or allow functionality but I didn't test it) anyway for me Voodooshield is better.

I suppose you can't use both.... Bad idea? I don't know just thinking :D

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Voodooshield is designed primarly as an anti-exe, voodo win.

When yoy say less FP I suppose you mean to use voodo in auto-pilot so:

My last attempt using winpatrol WAR was problematic (Feb 2017) so much FP and blocks speccially using ninite and some soft that I use to work it blocked some of my portable apps...

Voodooshield also has FP but more easy to handle and thanks to blacklist (Virus Total), with WinPatrol I had to whitelist the app on main menu and run again the blocked software, (the last update includes a new menu blocking temporaly or allow functionality but I didn't test it) anyway for me Voodooshield is better.

I suppose you can't use both.... Bad idea? I don't know just thinking :D
VS uses VT so it's checking is using virus signatures. WAR is sig-less and it's checking is more behavior blocking-like. You can use WAR even when offline more effectively, right?

Thanks

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
W.A.R and VS run very well together.
I am running that combo now, often with Sparks DA in the mix.
I am finding that Sophos Home and WAR are very productive combo as to be expected.

They can run together.

But will there be duplication with WAR and VS....I mean one become more silent than the other since both are anti-exe.....sort of for WAR. Or will they give double the chatter?

Last edited:

Warrior

Level 4
Verified
Sep 2, 2014
Used Winpatrol and Voodoo-Shield both separate and together ,
now I just use Voodoo-Shield ,
Winpatrol and Voodoo-Shield are both Great Anti- Exe but Voodoo has the edge as Anti- Exe even without Internet connection , I have one system with Voodoo-Shield and windows firewall control and u block origin as the protection,

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
They can run together.

But will there be duplication with WAR and VS....I mean one become more silent than the other since both are anti-exe.....sort of for WAR. Or will they give double the chatter?
No double chatter for me, both shooting out notifications of duplicate alerts would be a sign that there are detection conflicts.
I don't get that (Double Alerts) with WAR & VS or with Sophos Home Premium Beta and VS

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No double chatter for me, both shooting out notifications of duplicate alerts would be a sign that there are detection conflicts.
I don't get that (Double Alerts) with WAR & VS or with Sophos Home Premium Beta and VS

How about one more silent than the other? It's similar to having 2 different AVs on the system. 1 detecting and 1 not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.