Asking about Lastpass Password Manager

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi everyone,
First, wish all of you have a nice weekend!
Today, I wanna ask about your currently password manager app. I'm using Kaspersky Total Security, and it includes premium Kaspersky Password Manager, but when using it on Android, it only support built-in browser, cannot fill in Google Chrome on Android, it's so stupid! I need to change to another Password Manager. And I saw many people in this forum (include MT staffs) using Lastpass Password Manager. I wanna ask you a question:
If any problem happens with Lastpass, and all of your passwords (include important bank account password,...) are revealed, what do you think in this situation?
And your Lastpass is free or premium license? Do I need to purchase the premium one or free version is enough?
Any password manager application better than Lastpass? Please suggest me!
Thanks all and enjoy your day!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
There's a high chance that Kaspersky only allows the in-app browser to prevent unauthorised screen capture. It's the same for LastPass on Android, but you get options to disable these security features.

Using the Accessibility feature breaks the Android Encryption, if that's something you use.

How does LastPass impact device encryption? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

I use Avast Passwords, with Accessibility disabled because I use Device Encryption on startup (Pattern) and Lockscreen.

There are many on the Google Play Store, check their reputation and reviews.

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
My suggestions about LastPass :

• Create a LastPass account with a mail you never (so NEVER!) gave or revealed to anyone
  • Secure that mail account with a secondary mail account that only you know
  • Pick a strong master password (you know the pattern)
  • Enable two factor authentication (there are several options to chose)
  • Limit the country IPs that can enter your Vault and/or log in to your LastPass Account
  • Limit the devices that can login to your LassPass Account
  • Chose really strong passwords for your sites, or let your LastPass generates some unimportant (unrememberable) passwords for you
Yes it is secure.
LastPass encrypts your Vault before it goes to the server using 256-bit AES encryption. Since the Vault is already encrypted before it leaves your computer and reaches the LastPass server, not even LastPass employees can see your sensitive data!

In case of data breach , there is an option for automatic password change of more than 75 popular sites, implemented in LastPass
screenshot.png

I am using LastPass extension for Chrome. Free and satisfied user.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
I use lastpass for following reason :
  • There isn't any news until now about lastpass selling our username and password.
  • it's free for lifetime other are free for particular time span so finding alternative every year is a strenuous process.
  • Lastpass extension is great, autofill works good.
- Saving you banking information is something i won't suggest you to do on any sort of password managing service, i and may be most of MT users use lastpass as because all are pretty active member on a number of website so managing 30-40 account is pretty hard stuff.

- If you want to save your banking information i would suggest you to save in .txt file and encrypt it by zipping the file and upload it to google drive as because banking information is not something which changes everyday or month.

- But if you are thinking of using lastpass on mobile device than you need to get a pro pack of last pass which is quite at eye catchy price not much expensive i would say.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
But if you are thinking of using lastpass on mobile device than you need to get a pro pack of last pass which is quite at eye catchy price not much expensive i would say.

Not necessarily, if you create a new account from a mobile device, it'll become your primary and Premium for desktop.

OP can use @BoraMurdar suggestion after the account is created.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
Hi everyone,

And your Lastpass is free or premium license? Do I need to purchase the premium one or free version is enough?
Any password manager application better than Lastpass? Please suggest me!
Thanks all and enjoy your day!

I'm using LastPass (free) since already 5 or 6 years on windows machines only (with firefox and chrome). The software
is still running fine without a single issue: never had any problems with logins on sites etc. I would say (based on my
experience): Lastpass is worth installing. Now i'm thinking about premium licence: i also want to use LastPass on my android tablet.

Maxxx58

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Dec 20, 2014
Hi @BoraMurdar,
Can I ask you a question? If I use Lastpass to generate passwords for my accounts, overwrite all old passwords made by me, and anything happens with my Lastpass account that I can't access it (Lastpass account is deactivated, forget master password,etc...). Then, what I can do when I don't know anything about these password (which totally generates by Lastpass)? How can I sign in these websites when I don't know the passwords? Is there anyway to recover these passwords?
Thanks for reply!

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
I haven't tried, but is LP addon available on Firefox for Android?

About the Accessibility issue.
View attachment 110420

..sorry no idea... I'm an android beginner so i know nearly nothing about the android OS and applications for android.... :)

EDIT:
Can I ask you a question? If I use Lastpass to generate passwords for my accounts, overwrite all old passwords made by me, and anything happens with my Lastpass account that I can't access it (Lastpass account is deactivated, forget master password,etc...).

...you can frequently export all passwords from your account to a local file, print it and delete the exported file from your PC.
Second option is to encrypt the exported file and store it on a USB stick... i'm doing this from time to time.....

Last edited:

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Hi @BoraMurdar,
Can I ask you a question? If I use Lastpass to generate passwords for my accounts, overwrite all old passwords made by me, and anything happens with my Lastpass account that I can't access it (Lastpass account is deactivated, forget master password,etc...). Then, what I can do when I don't know anything about these password (which totally generates by Lastpass)? How can I sign in these websites when I don't know the passwords? Is there anyway to recover these passwords?
Thanks for reply!
Main concern is not to forget the master password. If you forget the master password then you have several options to recover your account >
Account Recovery | User Manual

But the best is to export all of your passwords in CSV file, by clicking on LastPass Icon and "More Options/Advanced/Export"
Encrypt that file with 7Zip (for example) and save it somewhere locally

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
For starter then free version of Lastpass will be enough, since you can have strong password combination powered by generator system and automatic fill in the logins within convenience.

Multi-factor is another good feature but of course that is up to you because with strong master password; everything is hard.

So far the encryption of details will take very long time to crack due to salted protection; so no worries..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.